King-Seeley gauge fluid evaporated? 1933

I have no reason to believe there are any breaches in the fuel pressure line from the tank to the dash gauge but there is no reading on the gauge. Is it common, after 70 or 80 years for the King-Seeley fluid in the gauge to have simply evaporated? Are there any simple tests of the system to diagnose before I start destroying something? Or should I just start adding new fluid and see if it holds pressure?

Yes it evaporates and changes color too. There are many things that can go wrong, but you could start by just adding fluid. The ID of that line is very very small. anything could plug or damage it. And the tank sending unit is made of copper/brass and cracks. And be careful of the dash gauge. It is pot metal and will break easily. Luckily the gauge, line and fluid are available.

Careful not to overfill with fluid or it can damage the gauge face. I found that if I added fluid in a relatively cool garage and took in out into direct sunlight the increased expansion of todays fuel could actually fill the sight glass regardless of the amount of the fuel in the tank, so filling the tank was out of the question! Since an accurate reading will be virtually impossible, only add enough to show up on the gauge or you will end up having to remove some of the fluid later!

Brad, if you need the fluid you can buy it at Classicandexotic.com. If you would like the whole kit; includes new line, fittings and fluid you can get it from Mac's Auto Parts for under $30.00. If you decide to install a new line the tapered fittings need to be soldered to the new line so they are air tight. If you have any air leak at all gauge will not function.

Thanks, Tim,

I did procure the whole kit some time ago from Lionel Stone. Just being recently retired I'm starting to think about fixing some of the issues I've planned over the years.