Mid-60s Buick Compass

Patrick91914

I mounted this under the dash on my car. That's the only way I've ever seen the one or two that I've ever crossed paths with installed. . .but, I just checked my NOS "in the box" compass and see that there is a suction cup that allows for an alternate mounting method. I suspect that mounting in on the windshield would expose the unit to extreme temperatures causing discoloration or other damage...It's better off under the dash IMHO. The unit in the ebay listing is in excpetional condition and the pics don't do it justice.

Edited by Patrick91914 (see edit history)

Guest my3buicks

That unit is actually early 60's, not sure what would have been the last year it was used. I know for a fact it is not correct for 67 just not sure which year they changed to the style used in 67.

Yes, as positive as one can be by using the illustrations in the Buick Accessory catalogs. The `63 compass was much different in appearance. Instead of the barrel shape as seen on the above compass the `63 unit is wedge shaped, very Star Wars in appearance. I had an NOS one years ago that I sold to a `63 Riviera owner. The `63 compass is much rarer than the `64-`66 version. I have never seen another one for sale or installed in a car, just the one I sold years ago.

Tom Mooney

Guest my3buicks

Thanks Tom, that is how I was hoping you came across your info. The rarity of the one previous to this one must explain why you see this one in the earlier 60's Buick fairly often. Did the previous one have a red triangle on it? This could be a good technical article for Pete & the Bugle.

Thanks Tom, that is how I was hoping you came across your info. The rarity of the one previous to this one must explain why you see this one in the earlier 60's Buick fairly often. Did the previous one have a red triangle on it? This could be a good technical article for Pete & the Bugle.

I dont remember a red triangle, it was all black. From the `63 Buick accessories catalog...enjoypost-50047-143142354468_thumb.jpg

Tom Mooney

Guest my3buicks
I dont remember a red triangle, it was all black. From the `63 Buick accessories catalog...enjoy[ATTACH=CONFIG]231068[/ATTACH]

Tom Mooney

Interesting!! There must have been one other from 57 to ? before that one. I am not sure I ever saw that one before.