1957 Chevy Rear Bumper Alignment

Guest 48Ragtop

Guest 48Ragtop

I’m having trouble installing my 1957 Chevy rear bumper. When I bought the car it had a continental kit. I removed it and attempted to install, what I believed to be the original, stock center section. Now I really don’t know if the center section I have is original GM and for that matter don’t know if the end pieces are originals or not. The problem I’m having is when I get all the bolts in and begin to try to get it snugged up. I can’t get the two end pieces to align properly with the tail light assemblies and rear quarters. It almost looks like it would all go together properly if the center section was about a half inch shorter on both ends. I’ve actually considered cutting each end off and welding them back on to shorten up the entire assembly. I would have to cut each end to keep the center section aligned with frame brackets. I know that this is extreme but my options are limited.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

I could try new reproduction components but I’ve heard that many of these are poorly made and often cause alignment issues themselves. I’d pay for repo components if I was assured of a correct result. The other option is to find original GM parts and re-chrome them. I’m looking for some now.<o:p></o:p>

Can anyone tell me how to identify my bumper components to determine if they might be original GM parts? Are there GM part numbers or other identifying features that would tell me? Also I’m curious if there exists any dimensional specifications for the bumper components that would confirm where my problem is coming from. For example, what is the overall, maximum length of the original GM center section; what is the correct inside dimension of the end pieces?<o:p></o:p>

Any ideas, leads on a straight, original GM rear bumper assembly (non-station wagon) or other information would be much appreciated. <o:p></o:p>

There was a seamless one piece bumper that people called the "California" bumper. They say it came with cars made there. Other's say CA. and Canada. Might be hard to find an original, as they are popular. I think one can made from a 3 piece, but it might be pricy. The aftermarket makes them, but I don't know about the quailty of them. They also made what's been called a seamless or boxed frame, I understand.

Edited by rhb1999
clarify information about frame (see edit history)