CLEANING INSIDE OF TAIL LIGHT LENS

Guest hopair

I know this has been discussed infinitum (sic).

I would like to know how to remove the rear lens after getting past the stage where the lens is hanging from the cables and removing all of the sockets.

My question is how do I remove the light socket housing which the light sockets twist into. At first look. it appears to be welded to the back of the lens (housing).

My objective is to clean the INSIDE of the lens. Also, someone suggested to drill small "weep holes" on the ends of the lens to prevent moisture from building up inside.. Any comments on this working?

Many thanks for going on and on about cleaning rear lenses.

I haven't done it myself so I will let someone else explain taking the taillight assembly apart. I can tell you it is held together with a rubber sealant that requires the assembly to be warm so you can carefully pry the clear lens away from the rear section. Then it must be resealed after you clean it. You can find instructions here on the forum.

Here are some links that might help"

Thanks Ronnie. I found some links and naturally it's tricky. I'll wait till Spring.

Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for all your help to the forum.

BTW. I broke one of the rear tail light sockets replacing a bulb. The back just fell of and one of the contacts fell out.. I found a full light harness but I'd like to get just one and splice it to my harness.

Guest steveskyhawk

Wait till spring or better yet summer. I dont even attempt to disassemble a tailight unless it has set in direct sunlight for a couple hours on a 90 plus degree day.

Guest Mc_Reatta
BTW. I broke one of the rear tail light sockets replacing a bulb. The back just fell of and one of the contacts fell out.. I found a full light harness but I'd like to get just one and splice it to my harness.

Someone on the forum will probably help you out, but sockets with pigtails are available from many flaps. Just take yours in for a guide to make sure you get the correct replacement.

One like this one might work, but you'd have to check it out to be sure:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_electrical-sockets--3-wire-90-deg-front-&-rear-dorman--conduct-tite_5010683-p?searchTerm=turn+signal+socket#

I wanted to post a picture of my 90 Black Reatta tail lens, but I can't figure out how to

attach a photo to a Reply...please help.

If this works, you will see that I clear coated both my lens with a hint of color (what

ever the color the car is), black car=black paint/clear coat.

This Greatly helps in not seeing the dust inside the tail lens, and looks almost factory looking. And No I don't get harassed by the police, I think they too must think it's factory,since the car is so old, most police don't even know what the car is, let alone what it looked like originally.

post-60632-143142297308_thumb.jpg

Meehan,

I love the colored clear coat look. My '89 is approaching a paint job. I have a brother-in-law that owns a very successful and highly professional body shop and I plan on enlisting his expertise, but doing a lot of the prep work myself. Now I have another item to put on the list. I have polished my rear lens back to factory clarity, but again, I really like the look of the slightly blacked out lens. I am running some insanely powerful LEDs in the rear assembly so loosing a little brightness will NOT make any difference.

David T

If this works, you will see that I clear coated both my lens with a hint of color (what

ever the color the car is), black car=black paint/clear coat.

This Greatly helps in not seeing the dust inside the tail lens, and looks almost factory looking. And No I don't get harassed by the police, I think they too must think it's factory,since the car is so old, most police don't even know what the car is, let alone what it looked like originally.

My '91 is black and would like to know what your procedure for painting the lens black?

Remove letters, clean outer lens, tape off light bulb holes, I used Blue Painters Tape

drop off at paint shop, they will prep. the lens, I guess they will wet sand it. They have to use a Paint Adherent., like Bulldog, then they mix a dab of paint color, this case black, with clear and then spray it. I paid $40 to have mine done. Then when it comes back I re glue the letters with clear silicone while the lens is still OFF the car. Make sure the letters are facing up, light holes down, balance on a table or something, just press down and let dry overnight. then reinstall into car. Done. Beautiful!!!:)

Edited by meehan (see edit history)

There is a spray can product for making the taillight lens dark that is specifically for the DIY guys. It is called Night Shades and it is available in The Reatta Store. It is a tint so you can gradually add more coats until you get it as dark as you want it. It comes bundled with a compatible clear coat paint to seal it once you get it as dark as you want. A member of this forum used it and was very happy with it. Can't recall his username right now.

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

Thanks Ronnie. I have a lot to look forward to cleaning the inside of the lens (removing the socket housing, etc.) and getting Night Shades to complete it all at the same time.

Maybe Santa is reading these posts.

As usual, all the best.