can a dynaflow from a 59 le sabre be adapted to fit a 55 special

Guest barry kerr

Guest barry kerr

Hi Folks

I wonder if anyone can help.

I have recently bought a 1955 Buick special. I am based in the Uk.

The car drives forward but doesnt reverse. I have taken the sump off and it looks like a piece of metal has broken off the casing. It also looks as if someone has been inside before me.

I have located another gearbox from a 59 le sabre but dont know if it could be adapted to fit. Unfortunately dynaflow repairers are hard to find in the Uk and the cost of a rebuild is somewhere near £1800 plus any hard parts would be extra.

I dont have access to an interchange manual, but wonder if anyone can help?

Thanks in advance

Barry

Barry,

My answer will not be all inclusive of the problems you face or differences between the two.

First of all, the 59 bell housing will not bolt up to the 55 block. Secondly, the 55 has the ring gear on the flexplate whereas the 59 has the ring gear on the converter. As far as I know, the converter and bell housing from the 55 will not swap over to the 59 trans and of course there is the flexplate differences.

Doesn't the 59 have an open driveshaft? Not sure about that part.

My gut reaction was to say forget it, it won't work but the remote possibility may exist that it has been done, don't see how.

Edited by TexasJohn55 (see edit history)

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the piece of cast you found may be why reverse doesn't work, they had a problem with that on the 55's and was somewhat common. I don't think that indicates a broken case or housing.

By the way, a 56 will bolt up but is 1" longer, minor mounting modifications neede and the rear wheels still look centered in the wheel well openings.. I have one in my 55 Special right now......until I get my original rebuilt and back in. It drives fine.

Bolt patterns on the block for the trans changed in 57 I believe.

Could you buy a rebuilt with warranty and ship it cheaper than 1800, I don't know the exchange rate to US dollars. .............................John

Edited by TexasJohn55 (see edit history)

Guest Classic50s

The 55 Special used the 264 and 59 LeSabre only used the 364. It would be better to swap the motor and trans from the 55 for a 364/dynaflow set up. Parts are easier to find, more power, and the 264 has some differences that made them slightly more problematic. It would be easier then finding a 55-56 dynaflow in Britain. The 364 and dynaflow was used from 57-61 (59-61 LeSabre only). Buick kept the torque tube through to 1960. I am not sure about torque tube, transmission, mounting differences from 55 to 59 though.