New exhaust on TC

I'm installing a 2 1/2" exhaust from FWD on it. The exhaust is for a Dodge Daytona and fits well. It take a little persuasion on the pipe over the axle but not a lot of force from a regular hammer. Once it slips into place, there is clearance around the gas tank. If your down pipe from the turbo looks good you don't need to order that since it is 2 1/2 already. You have to reuse the old hangers off the old exhaust or just bend some 1/2" pipe for new ones. Either way they need to be welded on the new pipes.

Update. The rear pipe over the axle needs mods. I have to do a couple cuts and welds to get it lined up like I want. The pipe from the cat and the one going from the center to the driver's side are perfect..... Oh well. The original TC exhaust tips are 2 1/4 at the rear of the muffler so a shim piece between the 2 1/2 and the 2 1/4 will make a perfect fit.

Update. The rear pipe over the axle needs mods. I have to do a couple cuts and welds to get it lined up like I want. The pipe from the cat and the one going from the center to the driver's side are perfect..... Oh well. The original TC exhaust tips are 2 1/4 at the rear of the muffler so a shim piece between the 2 1/2 and the 2 1/4 will make a perfect fit.

Hey Bill, Not to many people have a bending machine or acetylene torch out in the back shed and cutting your pipe might be your best option, but don't shim at the muffler. Get an expansion tool from Harbor Freight, or take it to a muffler shop and have it bumped up to fit. Exhaust systems rust at the cold spots first, that's not just a cold spot, it's a cold spot that collects moisture and about the worst cold spot you can make.

If you do have access to a torch you can bend to fit. Heat about an 8 inch long section until it glows red and slowly bend your pipe, works best when the car holds one end of the pipe and you can use a pry bar in the open end to bring your pipe into line. Doing it off the car means waiting for the pipe to cool and lots of test fittings. Don't forget the good thick leather gloves.

Thanks. I just made 2 cuts and it tucks in nice and neat. I just emailed Cindy to see if she want to duplicate my modified over axle pipe. The whole exhaust tucks in nice and neat! The way it fits now, I can weld the old hanger mounts on the new pipes. I had to make a 3" cut in a steel "mud flap behind the rear wheel. This is a summer car so I can send the pipe to her for duplication. Then there will be a no hassle exhaust for the TC with NO restrictions. Years ago someone measured back pressure in the exhaust and 2 1/2 gave 0 back pressure at highway speeds.

Thanks. I just made 2 cuts and it tucks in nice and neat. I just emailed Cindy to see if she want to duplicate my modified over axle pipe. The whole exhaust tucks in nice and neat! The way it fits now, I can weld the old hanger mounts on the new pipes. I had to make a 3" cut in a steel "mud flap behind the rear wheel. This is a summer car so I can send the pipe to her for duplication. Then there will be a no hassle exhaust for the TC with NO restrictions. Years ago someone measured back pressure in the exhaust and 2 1/2 gave 0 back pressure at highway speeds.

Zero back pressure at highway speed is good for gas mileage, but turbos do need a bit of back pressure to work and as long as you didn't switch over to a high capacity catalytic and your pipes aren't mandrel bent you should be fine. You might notice an half a second of lag time between putting your foot down and the turbo kicking in, but the improvement should be worth the wait.