Cast Welt Tips for Early '30s Cadillacs or other Makes Wanted

jaw aaca

Anybody have a source for original, or original style reproductions of these used on early '30s Cadillacs and perhaps other high end cars of the era? Not the current day stamped steel versions that need a trim nail through the top. The originals were a cast piece with the nail attached at the bottom (some call them T-Nails) which were chrome plated. They were sort of an arrow shape with a crowned center line of sorts. May have been used on other high end cars of the time as well. Lebarron Bonney and Restorations Specialties do NOT carry them. Thanks for all leads

Jeff

I don't know of a source that has something like this on the shelf. I suspect you're going to have to make up what you need. Restoration Supply in Escondido, CA offers molding in half oval and similar shapes. You'll have to solder nails to it and profile as needed. You may consider using solid Alum stock and again solder nails and shape to fit.

post-31482-143142276678_thumb.jpgI've looked at my usual sources and can't find them, so I agree with Friartuck that you may have to fabricate them.

My '31 Pierce phaeton didn't use these, as evidenced by original interiors I've seen, I just cut the wire-on from the inside (a wedge shaped piece taken out of half round material, leaving leather intact) and folded at 90 degrees...it's a little tricky but works...the one shown isn't quite 90 degrees being the front of the front door but gives you the idea....

I worked on a Chandler not long ago that had the small bead of the wire-on to the inside of the door panel, the large section was cut leaving small bead intact, then a larger metal piece covered the absent wire-on...quite interesting (to a trimmer, anyway!)....