Anybody ever use PPG product ALK-200

FJD

Hello all antique auto enthusiasts, I would like some input, if anyone has any input concerning a PPG product called ALK-200. I have read the tech data sheets and have calculated the mixing formulas, and was wondering if anyone has used this product for restoring a Packard chassis and other parts that require a lower gloss finish than out of the can gloss.

I will also be using the DX-10-FLT to bring down the gloss to the level desired also using the ALK-201 Polyurethane enhancer, AKA hardener.

Any knowledge or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you Fred D

Fred, I have not used this ALK product line from PPG. I too looked up the Tech Sheets and it seems thie ALK line topcoat is is an Alkaline paint, a part of the commercial coatings group, not the automotive refinish group. It wasn't clear to me which primer is used for the ALK series. I have used the PPG Concepts line single stage urethane, both the DP Epoxy primers and Concept top coats with satisfaction. Have you seen the ALK series used for automotive applications and how did you become acquainted with it? My suggestion is use the DPLF epoxy primer and top coat with DCC acrylic Urethane. I'm sure there is an additive or way to mix the paint to knock off the high sheen. Personally, I think it's fine as is for frame/chassis application.

Friar here is a little history, I first had my Packard chassis blasted, primmered and finished with Sherwin Williams Acryld however the folks who did it kind of got it backwards, the places that are unseen, under the body, were done great however everything else that can be seen left a lot to be desired. I had some areas that where not covered and the primer was exposed. Some areas were never sanded and had the appearance of heavy overspray. After a long time I decided to regroup and get back to work.

I decided to have sub-assemblies powdercoated that worked out well except different material, eg. cast parts, thick gauge steel, light gauge steel all turned out with a different finish. I decided that since I heard that the powdercoat would be a good primer I talked to the PPG folks and they recommended that the ALK would work to recoat both the chassis and the powdercoat pieces thus allowing touch up if necessary which would be difficult if the powdercoat itself was the final finish. I have used their Delstar products with great success, and took their advice. Seemed easy enough, and that is where I am today I was going to go back to Sherwin Williams but that didn't seem to pan out either.

I guess I will still keep experimenting to find the desired finish.

Thanks again Fred