63 Riviera trunk/body mounts

Guest Kaber

Hey Guys,

As you know this summer My son and I purchased a 63 Riviera for him to use as a high school cruiser. I really like the car and didn't look it over quite as well as I should have. Upon getting it home I noticed 2 pretty big rust holes in the corners of the trunk floor near the wheel well. Worse, underneath the body mounts were non existent. I am probably not telling 63-65 Riviera owners anything new. After doing some research I found this to be a fairly common problem. Not wanting to spend a ton of time replacing the entire trunk floor (My son can do that later!...LOL!), not to mention I am in this car a little deep, we opted for a fairly low buck repair. I currently don't have access to a welder so I decided to bolt in steel patches and seal them with seam sealer and bedliner. I also wanted new body mounts so I went to the local restoration supply house and picked up mounts for a 1966-67 Chevelle along with a pair of body bushings and bolts. I spent a total of $91 on these parts. I made a cardboard pattern of the patch I wanted for both sides, I thought it was symmetrical so I only used one pattern for both sides. It turns out that the trunk floor is not symmetrical so I altered my design a little. I had a local Machine shop make up the sheetmetal following the trunk contour and wheel well. I trimmed down the Chevelle body mounts and mocked them in place under the floor patches. I then trimmed some plates to box in the ends of Chevelle body mounts. I had a local Hot Rod shop weld the body mounts to the patches and weld the boxed ends in place for a total of $20. I intend to grind the welds a little and coat everything with spray on bedliner before final assembly. I will then seam seal and undercoat everything from underneath. I have attached some pictures of where I am at right now. I intend to bolt the patches in place with 5/16 button head allen screws, flat washers and lock nuts from below. This should make a solid repair that will last until the entire floor can be replaced. I thought you guys might get a kick out of seeing this project.

Left side top

2013-10-24180351_zpsefbad7c5.jpg

Right side top

2013-10-24180406_zps8a6dccd4.jpg

Left side from inner wheelwell

2013-10-24180430_zps5d5b9a3d.jpg

Left side

2013-10-24180515_zps24e3df4a.jpg

Right side from wheel well

2013-10-24180738_zpsa0588552.jpg

Right side

2013-10-24180721_zps7879c0a0.jpg

Kaber out

Kaber nice looking job-any name of manufacturer of the mounts for future reference.thanks T.Nugent roa 12969...

The mounts were made by Dynacorn. They make parts and whole bodies for all kinds of cars.

Kaber