New Owner - Speedo

Guest TCinID

Hi All:

Great site and looking forward to participating. I already figured out how to latch the top manually through the trunk from here (motor not making any noise but that can wait until spring).

Bought a 91 (v6 auto) yesterday and drove her home 320 miles. Quite a few bugs to work out, but first question I have is the speedometer is reading fast.

It takes 83 mph on dash to go 75 on gps. I have seen a speed sensor on the www so I am wondering if the speedo is electric and the odo and trip are cable operated?

Thanks!

Dave

Edited by TCinID (see edit history)

Hi All:

Great site and looking forward to participating. I already figured out how to latch the top manually through the trunk from here (motor not making any noise but that can wait until spring).

Bought a 91 (v6 auto) yesterday and drove her home 320 miles. Quite a few bugs to work out, but first question I have is the speedometer is reading fast.

It takes 83 mph on dash to go 75 on gps. I have seen a speed sensor on the www so I am wondering if the speedo is electric and the odo and trip are cable operated?

Thanks!

Dave

You may want to check and make sure you have the correct tire size as well.

Hi All:

Thanks!

Dave

Speed and distance are electrical and 10% is a gross error. Take a 10 mile drive on the freeway, set your cruse at 60, zero (0) out your trip odometer when you come even with your first mile marker post and at the end of 10 miles check time and distance against hwy post mile markers. If odo & speedo are both off by 10% your looking under the hood, if only the speedo is off best guess is that someone did a odo gear repair and didn't get the speed needle back on zero. If your odo is off by .2 at the second post you won't need to drive the full 10 miles. You didn't mention anything like needle fluctuation, but take a look just to make sure.

Tires are 205-60-15.

Checked the ODO and got 10.2 miles in 10 measured miles.

The needle seems to be at zero when stopped and doesn't fluctuate.

Thanks!

Tires are 205-60-15.

Checked the ODO and got 10.2 miles in 10 measured miles.

The needle seems to be at zero when stopped and doesn't fluctuate.

Thanks!

2% is OK for distance error, if you kept track of time you should have a percentage difference for actual speed verses displayed and if it's linear you can adjust your needle accordingly. If it took you 11 min. to ten miles with cruse holding 60 you would be real close to 10% display error give or take the angle you view the spedo. Needle can look good sitting but if it's one needle width off at zero it's 20mph off at full travel. Good video for gear replace shows how to set needle as final step. If your percentage of error changes with speed you have a different problem.