Picture Request - Original Clum 9654 Dimmer Switch as factory fitted to DODGE 1936 D2

Guest sutts

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me out please with a picture of an original Clum 9654 switch which I believe was factory fitted to the 1936 Dodge D2, 1936 PLYMOUTH MODELS PI, P2 and 1936 DE SOTO AIRSTREAM MODEL SI.

I've been looking for a long time for one of these but have never had a positive ID yet. Would really help my search if I knew what I was looking for!

Any help would be much appreciated.:D

Cheers,

Dave

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me out please with a picture of an original Clum 9654 switch which I believe was factory fitted to the 1936 Dodge D2, 1936 PLYMOUTH MODELS PI, P2 and 1936 DE SOTO AIRSTREAM MODEL SI.

I've been looking for a long time for one of these but have never had a positive ID yet. Would really help my search if I knew what I was looking for!

Any help would be much appreciated.:D

Cheers,

Dave

I have a 36 Dodge that I'm parting out if the other switch doesn't pan out.

Dave, Here are pics of the dimmer switch. These are available new except they have screw type terminals not the original style bullet connections. Hope these help. I might have an extra around here.

Appreciate the pictures jpage. The information I have is that the original Clum 9654 had a square base and that the rounded style came in later. It's so hard to nail this down as most switches have been replaced over the years with what was available at

the time. I'm not even sure Clum put a manufacturing mark or part number on their products. I guess the definitive proof would be to find something like this still in the box. This is a 9657 from around the same period and shows the same square base design. I think the 9654 had the stem more central and perhaps a little taller.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Dave

post-97103-143142241589_thumb.jpg

I have a 36 Dodge that I'm parting out if the other switch doesn't pan out.

Would be very interesting to see what switch you find on this vehicle Dave.

Do you happen to know if there's a definitive guide out there detailing what belongs on a factory class 36 Dodge?

Thanks,

Dave

Dave, I've had 3 '36 Dodge cars built in early ,mid and late '36 and all had the same switch so I have to assume that this is correct. The part itself carries no number or markings that I can find. It may be possible that different parts may have been used in different factories and possibly supplied by different manufacturers depending on availability as I believe this kind of part was contracted out and not made by Chrysler in house. There can be variants even within 1 model year as all 3 of my cars have subtle discrepancies such as different body trim, door handle style, hole placement for the garnish mouldings ,Etc.. I don't think it would make alot of difference which switch you use as long as it has the correct mounting and connections.