Looking for 66 Riviera parts

Guest jhaedtler

Guest jhaedtler

Hi, I'm new here and just got my first Riviera, a 1966 that needs a lot of work! For starters does anyone have a good rear bumper?

John Haedtler

New Mexico, USA

Hi John,

Welcome to the forum and congratualtions on your 66. Since it sounds like you have a project ahead, If you haven't already, it will be wise to join the ROA (link below) as there is a tremendous amount of info as well as parts sources you won't find on a forum. Along with ROA membership the best money spent is to get a 66 Buick service manual.

You will find parts for these cars aren't always easy to come by but they are out there and persistence usually pays off. Even with me being associated in the Riviera network for 30 years there are still times when it takes me months to find a part. Straight bumpers for the 66-67 are tough to come by because one small bump in the center tweaks them and they no longer hug the body lines properly at the ends or center. Also if the car was ever towed by an old style tow truck that had the rubber sling carrier, the bumper will be bowed in where the slings were as a result of the car being too heavy for the bumper to carry it.

Be careful when buying used bumpers if you can't see them mounted on the car. Many are "tweaked" as mentioned and you can't tell until its mounted. Competant plating shops can straighten bumpers but it can be a time consuming trial and error process depending where its bent.

Good Luck with your 66!

Guest jhaedtler

Thanks so much for the information! I never would have thought of the towing being a problem, but it sure does make sense to me.

I have been an aircraft mechanic all of my life, so this will be a nice change of pace, just a lot slower!

I did join the ROA, I am amazed at how much great information they supply!

John

You will find parts for these cars aren't always easy to come by but they are out there and persistence usually pays off. Even with me being associated in the Riviera network for 30 years there are still times when it takes me months to find a part. Straight bumpers for the 66-67 are tough to come by because one small bump in the center tweaks them and they no longer hug the body lines properly at the ends or center. Also if the car was ever towed by an old style tow truck that had the rubber sling carrier, the bumper will be bowed in where the slings were as a result of the car being too heavy for the bumper to carry it.

Be careful when buying used bumpers if you can't see them mounted on the car. Many are "tweaked" as mentioned and you can't tell until its mounted. Competant plating shops can straighten bumpers but it can be a time consuming trial and error process depending where its bent.

Guest jhaedtler

Seat cover question? My Body tag says my seats are Cloth/Vinyl Strato Bench in blue (621-D). Where these both Vinyl and cloth? With the cloth inserts? I will have to replace the covers and I want to keep it as close to original as possible!

Thanks in advance

John

John,

Yes exactly. The seats had cloth inserts right where each passenger sits. Attached pic is a well faded original from an old parts car but you can get the idea. The cloth inserts sure were more comfortable for driving with the trade off being more suseptible to staining vs vinyl.

post-50687-1431422420_thumb.jpg

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

John

I'll check in the next day or so to see if I have a higher resolution pic(s) to send you. The toughest part of getting these seats reupholstered and having them appear close to originals is obtaining the proper padding contours in between the sewn lines maintaining the pleated look. Often the contours get flattened out on reupholstery jobs like this 66 pic.

post-50687-143142244048_thumb.jpg

Guest jhaedtler

I see what you are saying, the flatness took away the bucket look that the factory had. I may have to learn how to do this. I have made slip covers for aircraft but they are much larger as they cover the entire aircraft.

Thanks for all of the help.

John

• 1 month later...
Guest jhaedtler

Jason;

Should had listen to you! I just got stuck with a real piece of crap! Don't deal with Jerry in Az. anymore! Now he is not responding to any of my e-mails. I will have to spend about a grand to fix the bumper if I use it? He and his company needs to be removed from your clubs list! Not a very honest man to deal with!

John Haedtler

New Mexico, USA

Jason;

Should had listen to you! I just got stuck with a real piece of crap! Don't deal with Jerry in Az. anymore! Now he is not responding to any of my e-mails. I will have to spend about a grand to fix the bumper if I use it? He and his company needs to be removed from your clubs list! Not a very honest man to deal with!

John Haedtler

New Mexico, USA

. . . BTDT, 20-20 hindsight John !!

As a member of the ROA - if you have a problem or a dispute with any vendor, please report it, so other members don't suffer the same consequences.

Please read all the details on the first page of the 'Classifieds' section of the Riview.

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)