1948 Cadillac Trim Codes

Guest georgiepieman

Guest georgiepieman

Can someone shed some light on the following trim #: SO77, that appeared on a 1948 Cadillac Series 7533X. I can't find that particular code listed on any of the information I could lay my hands on. Any help appreciated. thanks--Grant

Guest georgiepieman

Yep, that's what appears to be listed adjacent to the words "Trim No." May also read 5077, but looks more like SO77 to us. The body No. is FW 77. Paint No. 1 (space) then letters "KU"

Yes, the SO is "special order". This would indicate an order by the customer that deviated from what was normally provided by the factory. It is possible that what the deviation was is listed on the factory invoice. You can get a copy of the as built configuration of your car from GM through Allied Vaughan. This information may or may not contain information about your SO. See this link for more information: http://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/technical-resources/authenticate-your-car

The KU letters on your data plate would be accessory codes which can also be deciphered from factory information.

Try this link to get some specific 1948 information: http://www.gmheritagecenter.com/gm-heritage-archive/vehicle-information-kits.html Expand the "Cadillac" option and click on "1948 Cadillac". Caution: the PDF file you get for 1948 is over 100 MB in size. This file would likely contain the accessory code definitions.

Jeff

Guest georgiepieman

Thanks for all the information, Jeff. I'll follow the links and see what more I can find. Thanks also to Beach & D Yaros!

Grant

I dug through the 1948 file from the GM Heritage Center. Accessory code "K" is the Automatic Heating System. Code "U" is the code for the rear compartment radio. That's a rare option!

The SO code really has my curiosity. So few special orders were done after the war. All in all, you've got a rare car!

Jeff