what fuel should i be using for my 28?

i own a 1928 4 cylinder chevy. i have heard different opinions on what octane fuel i should be using. can anyone help? thanx bob

Most people I know use the 87 octane regular, unless they own a high performance 60s/70s car or other high compression engine. For your 1928, remember that tetraethyl lead was just becoming an additive and was not widely available when your car was new. Also, back then gasoline octane ratings were probably in the 60s.<BR> smile.gif" border="0

Use the cheapest gas you can buy, in extreme heat add a gal of diesel fuel to a full tank of gas , she'll never vapor lock on you ,Ive driven Franklin air cooled cars for 20 years and have never had a problem ,dont worry it will not smoke MIKE

To add to Ted's post, octane ratings were just being invented in the late 1920s. Apparently research at the time showed that all the commercially available gasolines could be characterized by a test fuel that had between 40% and 60% isooctane. To put it differently, the octane rating of gas in the late 1920s ranged from 40 to 60.<P>So you have two possible problems with modern gas:<ol>[*]It can be too volatile. A possible solution to that is to mix it with diesel or kerosene as suggested by Mike West.</li>[*]Some modern additives can destroy the rubber parts used on older cars. Your solution to that is to keep an eye on things and be prepared to rebuild with components using modern rubber designed for fuel systems.</li>

<P>So buy the cheapest, lowest octane gas you can find and have fun driving.

Tod we think alike,just some people aren,t satisfiyed with a simple fix, there are a dozen things that add to thr problem,gas lines ,slow timing,(makes engine run hot) loops in lines but generally the fuel oil fixes the problem. MIKE

guys, thanx for the info. my 1928 chevy has a 10 gallon tank so i will mix 9 gallons of 87 with a gallon of diesel. this website is really helpful. thanx again,bob