1970 Riveria....a few questions

cars of chaos

Hey Guys,

Finally have started really digging into my '70 Riv (non-GS) and have a couple questions I thought I'd post up here in case someone has the answer:

1) can still has the original aluminum drum brakes. And thoughts on keeping these or getting rid of them? All the cylinders were rebuilt last year, but the car still brakes bad (pulling to one side, thinking it's the brake hoses) but I've heard alot about aluminum drums warping and cracking. Should I keep or replace them?

2) One thing that's driving me nuts on this car are the dash lights...or lack thereof. I have the service manual and am pretty good with wiring diagrams & a Power Probe, but I'm having no luck. Dash lights/clock/wipers all don't work. Everything else does as far as I can tell (I have the radio out of the car so I haven't tested that). I've checked and replaced fuses, etc. All other interior lights work, but not the dash lights. Anyone ever had trouble and know a cure for this (no, shining a flashlight at the dash while driving doesn't count as a cure!! haha)

~Keith

Hey Keith-

The huge drum brakes on the Riviera were designed to stop the big car adequately -

For normal driving, I suggest you keep them, and sort out your specific braking problem. Unless you want to go the added expense, time, and trouble involved in a conversion to newer style front disc brakes.

Electrical problems:

The dash lights work off the headlight switch and brightness is controlled by a rheostat on the front of the switch - check the headlight switch.

The electric clock probably has burned or corroded contacts on the winding mechanism - remove it and check the contacts. You can clean them to get the clock working, or replace the electro-mechanical unit with a quartz movement.

The wiper motor must be grounded - check for a good ground connection on the small brass tang under one of the wiper motor mounting bolts on the firewall.

All of the above suggestions assume there is power going to the items, and they are in proper working order.

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)

Hi Guys,

Okay so interestingly (not sure how interesting this is to anyone) when looking under the dash I found a brown wire (wipers) and black wire (leading to dash lights, clock, and a few other things) had been cut. I spliced them and put them back together, but still no luck. I'll keep stabbing away at this.

I decided to keep the aluminum drum brakes, I think they just need some adjusting.

I decided to keep the aluminum drum brakes, I think they just need some adjusting.

FYI,

Disk brakes were an option in 1970. The first year for the disk brake option was in '67 and '67 - '70 Rivieras were all built on the same chassis. You could probably find a donor car and get the complete front disk setup and install on your car if you ever decide to get away from the drums.

Ed