Help with 38 v12 fuel pump installation

Beltfed

I am trying to install a new fuel pump on the '38 v12. Purchased from Bob Drake. His p/n is 11a-9350. Looks identical to the old one except for a valve mounted in the side. Problem is....I can't get it to drop over the push rod and seat on the intake manifold. The push rod is up to high. I measured 3-13/16 on the new one and 3-15/16 on the old , measured from the pump arm to the mounting flange. The push rod sticks up above the intake mounting flange more than either one. It became apparent than you have to push down on the pump to get it on the mounting flange and studs. BUT, there is a warning note in the new pump box the said not to push on the pump arm as it only moves a fraction of an inch. The only solution I see is to shorten the push rod and boy, do I not want to do that! What am I missing? Thanks

I bought a Bob Drake pump for my newly rebuilt engine. It ran for about 10 minutes and the pump arm broke. I took the internals and top casing from the Bob Drake pump and installed them on the old pump and haven't had any problems. I compared the pump arms, the original is beefier. As for mounting, I removed the oil tube, mounted the pump to the tube and then dropped the whole assembly onto the intake flange.

Thanks guys. I think I got it. Zephyrdave, I switched the old top section with the new one. Kept the bottom as you did. I had already messed a little with the new pump arm as the 'cup' that fits over the push rod was junk. It also looked 'cheesey'. I test fitted and it dropped right on.