47 Ford pick up

JACK M

I have a couple of questions from one of you knowledgeable Ford guys.

I am doing a project where I am picking up where some one else left off several years ago and I am hoping I can pick a few brains here.

The cab is already on and I see that they used some wood between the chassis and cab. I am getting ready to put the box on and I am wondering if I should be using a similar method. There is a pkg. of that heavy web looking stuff in the box of stuff that the previous mechanic was buying up new but don't know if that is right or not.

I am also needing a couple of parts. The truck has no rear bumper or brackets. I have no idea what came on these if any at all, but the front bumper is on now and is painted black as are the brackets.

Also need what I think is a stock wheel for a spare. The wheels on the truck are 15 inch with a 5 on 5 1/2 circle. The hub caps snap into the center, in other words the bumps that hold the caps are inside of the bulge rather than the outside. (you can see in the pic but not very well) Only need one wheel.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Guest Bob Call

Jack

If my rememberance of my 50's hot rod days are correct, the 15 inch wheel you refer to is 49 to 51 Mercury. These were commonly used to fit 15 inch tires on 40 thru 48 Fords. Ford 40 thru 48, including pickups had 16 inch 5 on 5 1/2 wheels. The passenger cars went to 15 inch in 49 but with 5 on 4 1/2 lugs like Mopar but Mercury stayed with the 5 on 5 1/2. I'm not sure when pickups went to 15 inch but it was some time in the 50's. Back then we also used some Buick 15 inch wheels but I don't remember what years had 5 on 5 1/2.

Thanks all.

Jack, I will check out the Ford Barn.

Bob, one catalogues that I have talks about the 'inner' retaining bumps being 40-48 cars and 40-56 pick ups. However this is for ordering hub caps (8 inch) and doesn't talk about bolt pattern or rim size.

I was led to believe that these are the stock wheels for the 47 pick up. But my customer isn't the one that started on this project and is not all that car savvy.

So I am kind of in the dark.