1953 Buick Thermostat Housing Bolt Torque Specs

Guest TheDude

Guest TheDude

After making some progress on the Buick by cleaning out the brake system and rebuilding the master cylinder and wheel cylinders, I hit a snag while trying to replace the leaking thermostat housing gasket. I snapped one of the bolt heads off and had to drill out the remaining piece. I think I may have over-torqued the bolts (and there may have been some gunk in the threads on the manifold).

Can anyone verify the proper torque for the thermostat housing bolts on a 1953 322 V8? I have both the 1952 and 1953 shop manuals, but I cannot find the term "thermostat housing," or a listing in the torque-specs for anything that seems close. They list 25-30lbs for the "water manifold," but that seems excessive if it were to apply to the thermostat housing. Around 12-15lbs seems more likely.

Thanks so much. My goal is to get this car to move under its own power in the next few weeks. I think I can do it, but I've got a time limit, and this thermostat housing is holding me back.

Guest TheDude

Thanks for the quick response and the link! That's a very helpful chart. It was a 5/16 / 18 bolt. I bought two new ones last night at the hardware store and they were a perfect fit. Except for being shiny, they don't really look out of place. I set them to 15 ft-lbs and that felt right. I also had to cut out my own gasket because they one that the auto places have never fit. The opening is a little too big and they have oblong shaped bolt holes, so they wouldn't even make a complete seal. It looks like Bob's Automobilia has the right gasket online, but it was quicker for me to buy some gasket material and cut out my own.