Removing the generator from my '31 Series 50

Mark_Smith

I am working on removing the generator from my '31 Series 50 to deal with the charging problems

I could easily remove 3 mounting bolts but the generator doesn't budge. Is there a fourth mounting bolt concealed behind the cover in front (the timing cover)? If so, it would look like I need to remove the radiator?

I saw you answer regarding a '31 Series 60 that removing the radiator was necessary.

Then I need to remove the water pump and the distributor, and pull the generator to the rear?

You will have to remove the water pump so that once the 3 bolts are loose the generator and distributor can move rearward and out. There is no need to remove the radiator.That is a lot of work for nothing.

It has been a while, but I don't think you have to remove the oil cooler.

I have had both model 50 and model 60 '31 Buicks.

After the 3 bolts are loose it should come right out, if not it might just be crud that is holding it in. A little judicious prying should do the job. You dont have to remove the 3 bolts entirely if they should want to hit the radiator - just back them out and leave them in place in the block.

Don

Don

Have you been succesfull yet at removing the generator? I can post pictures if it will help. The gear on the generator is a spiral gear and teh generator must turn as you pull it out. It needs so slide back about 1 1/2 inches to clear the housing. Fit is a tight sliding fit to keep the generator aligned for proper gear mesh. Removing the water pump and distributor make the job easier.

Bob