55' Buick Special---starter and wheels

Guest btate

Most of you know I am not a true mechanic and just somewhat know cars in general, so seems every experience is a learning experience. I thought I was a wise guy and purchased one of the Hi-Tork light weight starter. I first discovered it would not work at all and contacted the vender and they said they shipped the wrong one. I received the new one and installed it but it seem to make a funny noise but I have continued to use it for about 4 or 5 months. It has been hard to start and me not being a true mechanic, I decided that the gears or the angle of the starter gears were not mesh correctly. Many times it would seem to almost hit but kept doing that and not hitting after 6 or 7 trys. I noticed if I let up on the starter it would start. So, I decided to have my orginal starter rebuilt. Yesterday we installed it and starts perfect now. So I will not be trying any more hot shot Hi Tork starters again. In addition to the starter, I went back to my orginal wheels and now car is in perfect balance. I used the tires I had P235/75r--15 and all is good. The vender agreed to take back the aftermarket wheels back at 25% restocking. I am finally getting the car I had hoped for. Still learning folks and I appreciate all you guys help.

I, too learned things like that the hard way…

I like to keep things as designed.

One exception, I went with solid state breaker points at the suggestion of a professional mechanic. And I let him install.

Ten years later it works great and I haven't bought or installed points since…