1956 Dynaflow Blues

Beemon

My Buick has been sitting since the 70s due to the front pump in the Dynaflow going out when my mother was driving it home from the college. I haven't pulled the thing apart yet, but I'm just curious about what to expect. The shop manual states worst case scenario being to replace the pump mechanism, which is easier said than done. I've also heard horror stories of front pumps failing and shooting shrapnel through the trans but to my knowledge the car died in drive and I was under the impression Dynaflows in drive didn't use a hard connection and relied on the oil to drive the car? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated, planning on pulling it apart this week.

How was the diagnosis of front pump failure made? It is advantageous to check pressures as outlined in the shop manual before disassembly if possible. You are talking about the front pump that supplies pressure (along with the rear pump when the car is moving) to components in the transmission vs the torque converter is referred to as 'pump' also? Anyhow I don't see where a failure would grenade the whole transmission. Report back what you find...I won't be surprised if my arm-chair guesses are incorrect.:P

Willie

To clarify, I meant the front pump and not the turbines inside the torque converter. Car does not drive in any range but the rear wheels are free to move. There is no pressure in the front pump.

Looks like you are doing it right. You will find out at disassembly...