Klaxon Horn question

alsfarms

I have a couple of early Klaxon Electric horns. One has a serial number of 1781 with the second horn a serial of 93596. I also have a couple of early teens projects. I already plan to use the lower serial number on the older car but it would be nice if someone here has information that would suggest what years related to a certain serial number series. Does anyone have serial number information? I would also assume that this type Klaxon horn would not have been used a lot before 1911 or 1912? The horns all show a Patn. date of 1908. Also, does anyone have spare parts for these horns. I have a bad vibrating plate in one horn.

Al

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Bill Miller

I would try advertising for one in the Rolls-Royce section or even the CCCA section. Oops, there is no R-R section as such here, so try the CCCA forum. The Springfield Silver Ghosts and Phantom-I's used the Klaxon and you might find someone who has parts or a spare horn. The horns themselves (really a noisemaker and not a true horn) will be specific for the R-R cars but the internal parts will be pretty much interchangeable. Also try Steve Littin near Cleveland, Butch Murphy (also Cleveland), Tim Jayne near Philadelphia, Dick Frawley also near Philadelphia, and Pierce Reid in Stowe VT. They each have restoration and mechanical shops that specialize in the Ghosts and Phantoms and may have the parts or might be able to make what you need or steer you in the right direction. Their contact info should be available with an online search or through the RROC.org site.

Edited by Bill Miller (see edit history)