Military Nailheads

68RIVGS

Guest atomickneedrop

Here are some images of a Start Cart used to fire up the SR-22 Blackbird. I took these at the Evergreen Air and Space Museum.post-77345-143142159638_thumb.jpg

post-77345-143142159524_thumb.jpg

post-77345-143142159558_thumb.jpg

post-77345-143142159585_thumb.jpg

post-77345-143142159611_thumb.jpg

Guest atomickneedrop

I hear you Ed. I couldn't see the trans in the cart but I did want the Start Cart for the engines. It's not like they are using them any more.... Two beautiful 425s only used on Saturday to spy on the soviets. I would even leave the transmissions behind. How cool would it be to have a Riv that started a blackbird.....

Guest slacker1965
I hear you Ed. I couldn't see the trans in the cart but I did want the Start Cart for the engines. It's not like they are using them any more.... Two beautiful 425s only used on Saturday to spy on the soviets. I would even leave the transmissions behind. How cool would it be to have a Riv that started a blackbird.....

the only thing cooler than that would be a riv powered by one of tommy ivo's nailheads that were in one of his dragsters :)

I talked to the curator at the Evergreen Air and Space museum yesterday and asked him a couple of questions. He responded with what he knew but said that he would talk to the guy so cares for these and was on one of the ground crews back in the day and see what else he could find out. This guy the curator is going to talk to is the only non-pilot that has been allowed membership into the "Blackbird Assn." Hopefully he'll know.

My questions were 1) Because the Blackbirds flew prior to the introduction of the 425 nailhead in Dec. of '62, were the original start carts powered by 401's? 2) The curator and I agreed that the constant build up of torque as applied by a "Dynaflow" would be ideal for the J58 turbine. You wouldn't want a turbine spooled to a certain speed then have that speed drop because a transmission up shifted and the rpms coming from the transmission would drop. So I asked him to find out if the Air Force kept the Dynaflows and used them with the 454 Chevys when availability of the older 425's started declining and the switch was made to the Chevy.

I'll let you know what he says when he calls me back. He was a really nice guy and wanted to answer as many questions as I had and seemed to just want to talk about the things he had in his museum.

Any other questions you'd like for me to ask when he calls back?

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)