Ansted/Anstead Engine Model list??

Bud Tierney

My old parts catalogs are contradictory on Ansted/Anstead engines, and i find very little online, at least so far...

A 1930 McCord gasket catalog shows Ansted models "T" and "U" 1920-21, and models "C", "D", "M" and "F" 1922-25, all of 31/4x41/2...

A 1936 King Prod catalog shows the "C" as 31/4, but the "F" as 35/16...

I'M guessing from what I've found Ansted engines were developed (and/or taken from T-H designs??) and used almost solely in-house (Lexington, Durant)...

Does anyone here know of a complete list of the Ansted engine models, or if a list is included in the Lexington history book???

Any comments appreciated; many thxx!!

Don't have one, not looking for one-just idle curiosity). Bud

• Like 2

• 10 years later...

Well Bud, you are in luck. Better late than never.

All I can add, and happy for any more information, or correction please. This is from trying to make sense of the many snippets out there, and find the source of endless whispers over a few years.

The Ansted engine was developed for use in Lexington Automobiles, and came to public notice with Lexington winning 1st and 2nd place at Pikes Peak 1920.

1920-ca-LEXINGTON-Pikes-Peak-ad-AC-2.jpg.9b5b63f891008d427f44cc091ad2d0c8.jpg

1920-ca-LEXINGTON-Car-No-7-at-dealer-color-AC-2.jpg.a610ca88429e4bb0b197899a7acfe97a.jpg

The engine went through 3 design changes, model C, F and M. Chart below shows specification differences between years if any.

Bud, your mention of a Series 'D,' engine, (mentioned in a parts catalogue) might refer to when used in the Durant B-22 automobile.(sold 1922-1924?)

The superior advantage of the Lexington Automobiles 6 cylinder Ansted engines was further enhanced by features such as OHV, The Moore multiple exhaust system, and the LexiGlasifier. The 1924 Minute Man model produced a claimed 72 HP @3000 rpm.

The largest source of Lexington history online is from Chucks Toyland website. It is a vast pool of automotive (and other) knowledge and hours of reading, so be warned.

https://www.chuckstoyland.com/category/automotive/

And this is my hopefully easy to read, take on the different vehicle and engine models.

Makers Lexington. Anstead engines sold to Durant for use in B-22. Final years, stock left was assembled? and sold off as Lexington or Ansted automobiles.

image.png.5626843b4ac74687278c8d75a986117a.png

• Like 3

• 2 months later...