How to tell 6 volt accessory from 12 volt?

hddennis

I just acquired this dash panel thinking it might work on my 1917 Maxwell. After checking wiring diagrams I find it matches 1918 exactly. The trouble is 1917 is 6 volt and 1918 is 12 volt. I hate to get rid of this dash if the cut out/regulator will work on my dash because this unit is N.O.S. My question is can the cut out/regulator be tested (by someone more knowledgeable than me) to determine voltage requirements or is there a visual difference that can be seen? Thanks for any help, Howard Dennis

post-33891-143142119081_thumb.jpg

Very generally, anything 6V will use larger gauge wires, compared to 12V to carry the higher amperage load of 6 vs 12 volts. That said, if you let the factory installed smoke out by using the wrong voltage it probably won't work so good anymore..............Bob

Very generally, anything 6V will use larger gauge wires, compared to 12V to carry the higher amperage load of 6 vs 12 volts. That said, if you let the factory installed smoke out by using the wrong voltage it probably won't work so good anymore..............Bob
Thanks Bob, I'm prepared for just such an emergency! Howard Dennis

post-33891-143142119691_thumb.jpg