65 taillight bulbs

RIVNIK

Greetings! I recently replaced my taillight bezels. I think it was the first time I ever took out the taillight bulbs, and I found that all four bulbs were 1157 dual filament bulbs. I thought only the outer bulbs would be dual filament and the inners single. The shop manual does not have Riviera specific taillight info, but only says "Each rear lamp assembly contains a 32-4 CP bulb which is used as a combination tail, stop, and directional signal light", and doesn't specifically mention the inner bulbs. Does anybody know what bulbs should be where and if it is OK to replace them with 1157 halogen bulbs that are 30/10W? The bulb dealer assures they are a safe direct replacement. They are incredibly bright but don't seem to be hot and have not blown a fuse after short use. Thanks for any helpful info,as usual.......Drew

Hi Drew,

The tail/brake/turn bulbs are all dual filament 1157`s. I would imagine the halogen replacements will be OK as long as the brake lights are not continuously applied for an extended period of time...but the halogens will ne doubt be hotter.

Tom Mooney

Thanks Tom, Maybe you can answer a few more questions......After doing a little shopping online & at the local auto parts stores, I now realize that 1157 bulbs are not all the same. They come in different wattage, but that is not always printed on the packaging or stamped on the bulb like you would expect. The shop manual lists the proper bulbs as 32/4 CP. That must stand for candle power, the 4 being the running light filament & the 32 the brake & turn signal filament, right? That would explain why the ones I took out, stamped 32/2 CP, were hopelessly dim. But almost all of the 1157 bulbs on Ebay and at the auto parts stores are marked with a W, presumably meaning wattage. And they come in a wild array of wattages,for instance Sylvania, (which seems to have the market cornered) offers 27.3/8.4W, 26.9/8.3W, 27/6.7W,and more. The halogens I bought, advertised as a cure for the Rivieras dim taillights, are marked 30/10W and seem too bright. And I haven't been able to find 1157 32/4 Cps like the manual designates. What to do? What to do?

Drew,

You should be able to get candle power specs at the manufacturers websites or at your local auto parts store. I have never encountered the need to check specs on an 1157 but I have done so for dash and courtesy light bulbs and my local auto parts store had the specs.

Tom

I didn't think there was a need to check them either, because I've always thought they were all the same thing. But for the purpose of achieving brighter taillights it now seems pretty relevant, assuming that the differences in wattage actually produce noticeable differences in brightness. Well, the idgits at Autozone couldn't help me, but I know an old timer at NAPA I'll ask tomorrow. Thanks again for the advice, Drew