Water Pump Replacement on my '41

Guest Tim Romans

Guest Tim Romans

Embarking on a brand new adventure, water pump replacement! She decided to puke a good amount of coolant in the driveway and later in the garage when I pulled her in. Nice and moist at the front/underneath of the block. Shook her back and forth and nice drips came out of the bottom of the pump. No warning, it just up and died and at least had the discretion to do so at home.

So, new water pump is on the way. I'm thinking the radiator/radiator shroud will have to come off. Any other tips, tricks, traps to be aware of? I'm starting to strategize before I pull the old one off.

Thanks again!

Tim Romans

Guest Grant Magrath

Unless the 41 is hugely different from the 39, the radiator can stay in place Tim. Just tape some cardboard to the radiator fins to protect you both from each other! You may have to remove the fan first if the clearance is a bit tight, but you may get lucky. Sure was good luck to let go at home!

Cheers

Grant

There is a short Hose between Pump and Th.-Housing that I would renew too ,if its look not like New replace them. Its also easier to take the Th.-Housing togehter off with the Pump ,then you can clean all the parts much better especially the mostly rusty Hose necks.

on my 1940 all i had to do was take the fan belt off and move the fan to the funny look blade and it let's you get to all the bolts.Not to bad of a job did it in the parking lot at co. springs meet.

Frank (Buke)

Have a great BUICK day