Evap canister purge valve question

bikemikey

When going through my 89 buick reatta checking for problems I pulled the evap canister and changed the filter on the very bottom of it, I assume it's full of charcoal and that's all you can do with it? When checking the evap purge valve I pulled a light vacuum on the smallest hose fitting. I then tested the electrical pins with 12 volts direct from the battery, nothing happen, it did not release the vacuum. I tried it again , then I noticed it blew a 10 amp blade fuse I had on the ground side. I hope I did not destroy the valve by hitting it with 12 volts? My problem is , I can't find a place to buy one, they say they are discontinued, I have not tried the buick dealer yet. I was wondering if they make a universal evap valve for this car? I was also curious if I could temporary by pass the valve for now because I need the car real bad. What would be the effects of doing this? Thanks, Mike

It should be fine to drive as is, however, just plug the vacuum line coming from the engine and cap it if concerned about vacuum leaks. It runs in parallel with the trans. modulator steel line until it gets to the front of the trans. Did you have a check engine light that makes you suspect an issue? Probably a quad driver code if something is going on. Usually the quad driver circuits in the ECM just switch a ground to operate. I doubt it is damaged but the pick n pull should have lots of them.

As far as I know there are no codes or warnings. Do you think it would be okay to unplug the electrical connector or just leave it alone. If I understand you correctly, you're saying the ecm will take care of the problem , that is if there is a problem, right? There is a salvage yard near by, I'll call them tomorrow. Thanks

No, I was only mentioning what the ECM does to operate the purge valve. If you disconnect it, I am pretty certain it will set a code. I would leave it plugged in and operate as normal. If there is a problem, the ECM should set a code, but it is not self correcting.

2seater, I'll do as you suggest while I'm finding another one. The purge valve in the car is probably the original one which makes it about 24 years old, won't hurt to replace it with something newer. Thanks for that info. Have a nice day.