1930 overheating---goodnews/badnews

For those of you following my threads, you know I have been dealing with overheating problems for months. Since it did not overheat before the restoration, I was sure it was not the radiator. Ha Ha!

I did Bob's rag test today. It should take 2 seconds to empty the radiator. It takes between 11 and 12 seconds!

I did the CLR proceedure and backflushed upsidedown with hot water for 24 hours a couple of months ago. Not much came out and no improvement in cooling.

It is the original radiator. I think I have three options:

Boil out at radiator shop

New core at radiator shop

New Griffen radiator

I am leaning towards a new radiator of approximately the same size. I am not hopeful that a boil out will help. And, it looks like the upper and lower tanks have been repaired at some point.

What do you think?

Any opinions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dwight

P.S. I checked the water pump. With the upper hose removed from the radiator, I can shoot a stream of water over the radiator shroud!

post-63449-143141995869_thumb.jpg

post-63449-143141995865_thumb.jpg

post-63449-143141995868_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dwight Romberger (see edit history)

Go get a junkyard radiator of a larger size than your old radiator. plumb it into the engine and see if you still have a hot condition. I would hate to see you spend the $$ on a new radiator and still find you have a problem.

Bob Engle

Thanks Bob! That is a really good idea. I think I have read all the threads searching for possible causes and no one thought of this one.

Actually, I have a '36 International pickup. I think I could pull the radiator is less time than it would take me drive to a junkyard and cost $0.00. I will take a look at it tomorrow.

Thanks again,

Dwight

post-63449-143141996179_thumb.jpg

post-63449-14314199618_thumb.jpg

As a guy who has been chasing the same issue, I feel your pain. Another way to try diagnosing the problem is to get a "laser" thermometer (like in the picture) and see what the temps are at different spots on the radiator. This is what we did and learned the temperature was not dropping on one side of the radiator. Harbor Freight had a coupon this week for one that was around $30. Plus, it comes in handy around the BBQ.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]201848[/ATTACH]

Edited by Buick64C (see edit history)