Harmonic Balancer

Tom_Tams

My '39 Special seems to have a vibration in the engine that seems to be RPM specific. The problem may be clutch related or harmonic balancer related. I've changed clutches before but the only time I messed withe harmonic balancer was when I assembled the engine. Is there a way to take it out without disassembling the front of the car?

Guest Grant Magrath

Sort of.

At worst, you'd have to remove the hood to get the radiator out, That usually means the water pump has to come out as well. Have you checked your rubber torque ball mounts, and the torque ball? Or is the vibration when the engine is in neutral? Sounds like a bit more detective work might be needed!

Cheers

Grant

Hello Grant,

The torque ball is fine, the u-joint has been replaced, and the clutch and pressure plate have been replaced. The vibration is present when the car is stationary, in neutral and running at 1600 rpm. I checked the graph in my manual and 1600 rpm equals 30 mph withe gears and tires that are on the car. Strangely enough, 30 mph is when it's most noticeable when running, any guesses?

Tom

Guest Grant Magrath

Gee, that's a hard one without feeling it Tom. And BC is a ways from NZ! What about the water pump pulley and fan? Can you watch them and listen while someone holds the rpm at 1600? How's the fan belt? No chunks missing?

Cheers

Grant

In the past, I have taken the fan belt off to eliminate all the noise associated with the belt, pump, fan and generator. It's only for a very short time and won't cook the engine. You'd be surprised and all the noises that become apparent. It might help to localize where the vibration emanates from.

Danny

• 4 weeks later...

Grant you say when you assembled the engine.when you did this did you balance the moter? I say that because when i rebult my 1940 320 engine i didn't listen to my freind and didn't balance it.Same problem I called doug seybold (440-835-1193) and (after i told you so)He help me fix 95 percent of the vibration by putting small bolts in the flywheel to offset the balance.it still vibrates but i can live with it till next time i rebuild it.I am not saying that is your problem but it was a quick fix. good luck.

Frank

Have a great BUICK day

Guest Grant Magrath

Hi Frank.

No, I didn't balance the coupe's engine when I rebuilt it. Some engines can get away without balancing as far as I'm aware. Straight 6's and V12's. But for all the miles the coupe does.......and we don't have any vibration issues. That said, I spent over $1000 on balancing my Stingray's 350. Needed quite a bit of weight in the crank.

Cheers

Grant

I had my crank and flywheel balanced as a unit when I had my engine rebuilt.

I went to all the trouble of doing everything else so I figured why not invest the extra bucks to finish the job.

I never got to see or hear the engine running prior to the rebuild as it was stuffed in every way but as it is today day, it is incredibly smooth when running.

Danny