Starting Problem 1927 Dodge Brothers Four Screen

Hello out there in Dodge Brother's land.....

Haven't been on very much for quite a while, but here I am because I am having a problem with my 27 Dodge Brothers FOur Screen. Now let me start out with what I know about my truck. The drive train was apparently assembled in 26, the truck came off the assembly line in October of 27 and the truck was registered as a 28.

It was restored, ground up in 88-89 by the Vocational Education Program at the California Men's Colony in San Luis Obispo. You can see pictures of it in my gallery.

Now here is the problem:

Last Saturday I took it to a car show. It started fine in the AM when I took it out of the trailer. I backed it out and shut it down to lock up the trailer. When I went back to start it up it would not crank over. It did show some sign of cranking, but it was like the battery had gone dead. I had lights, but when I turn the Ignition key it showed no sign of any voltage on the Amp Meter.

We were able to get it started by jumping it at the Starter Motor. Now keep in mind, the truck is 6 Volt and has a modern 6 Volt dry cell battery. The truck is a positive ground system. The gentleman that helped me jump it knew what he was doing and did all the hook-up,I sat in the drivers seat and turned the key to the on position. Before actually jumping it I tried one more time to start he truck and was met with the same as my latter attempt, no voltage on the amp meter with the key turned on and no cranking when the foot starter button was depressed.

After turning on the key, the jump was performed using another, new truck, 12 volt system. My truck started right up and we were able to get it to place for the show.

At the end of the day we again had to jump start the truck. We used the same method, using a 12 volt system from another modern day truck.

I have got a feeling that the Ignition is the problem, but the light switch part of the switch is working fine. It turns on my lights and the amp meter works fine when the lights are turned on.

Question: Switch problem? Starter Button problem? Or what else can it be.

I have a show this week end and would like to make this show. I have not had a chance to work on it and will not have a chance to really work on it until this weekend or next week.

Does anyone see a problem with using a 12 Volt Jumper Box and if I do, should I hook it up Positive to Negative Ground at the starter or do I hook it up Positive to Positive and Negative to Negative. I dan't want to blow up my Jumper Box.

Please help! Anyone that might have an answer.