New guy here getting a '69 Riv - fuel pump questions

Guest Rooble55

Guest Rooble55

I am being given a '69 Riviera by my cousin, the car has been parked for probably 20 years, but is a solid Southern California car. It will need paint, upholstery, and everything else you might expect from a car having sat that long, but for free I can't pass it up. I plan on rebuilding the carburetor and flushing the fuel system, and I had originally planned to install a new fuel pump. Imagine my surprise when I discovered these cars have an in-tank electric pump! What can anyone tell me about this setup? Is there a way to test it (I realize the gas tank will have to come out - I was planning to have it cleaned out anyway)? Is it feasible to install an aftermarket electric pump near the tank? How much pressure does the stock pump put out? Are new OEM style pumps available? Sorry for all the questions, but I appreciate any info I can get. I'm sure I will have many more questions to come. Thanks.

Welcome to the ROA section of the AACA forum, and your very first post. !!

Before you start dismantling the car, make sure the engine is not siezed after sitting for 20 years - you can spray a little oil in each cylinder through the spark plug holes to free up the rings and lube the cylinders, allow sufficient time for the oil to penatrate the rings, and instal new plugs - check all the fluid levels, put some fresh gas in it, and with a fresh battery, see if it will start - a little fresh gas, or starter fluid down the carb may help.

If it starts, your in luck - if it doesn't start, you will have to diagnose what the problem is.

On '69' Rivs there is an access plate in the trunk, which will allow you to remove the electric fuel pump without dropping the tank.

You can test the pump by disconnecting the fuel line at the carb, and turn the ignition key to the 'ON' position, make sure you have a container at the open end of the fuel line ! I don't know if OEM style pumps are available, but I'm sure someone here will know.

Investing in a '69 Riviera Shop Manual (...hard copy or CD version), is probably the best purchase you will make in restoring the car, and is a valuable source of information which will provide the answers to some of your questions.

Becomming a member of the ROA will also get a lot of your questions answered - check out the Riviera Owners Association (ROA) site at www.rivowners.org

A name, and location would also be nice - as we are a 'friendly' group here.

Good luck with your 'FREE' car !! :)

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)

Guest Rooble55

Investing in a '69 Riviera Shop Manual (...hard copy or CD version), is probably the best purchase you will make in restoring the car, and is a valuable source of information which will provide the answers to some of your questions.

Becomming a member of the ROA will also get a lot of your questions answered - check out the Riviera Owners Association (ROA) site at www.rivowners.org

A name, and location would also be nice - as we are a 'friendly' group here.

Good luck with your 'FREE' car !! :)

Thanks for the info. Luckily for me my shop is about 2 miles from Faxon's Auto Literature and I plan a visit to get a manual. Since this is my first Buick restoration, a manual will be invaluable. I've updated my profile, name's Steve and I'm in Riverside, CA.