Which fuel/additives do you use?

Guest dwhiteside64

Guest dwhiteside64

Hello,

I am trying to get the best information regarding the type fuel and additives that our members use in their Rivieras - in particular, those with a "nailhead" engine. I would think at the very least one should use premium (92 or better), but what about the lead substitues and octane boosters on the market today? I don't want to add these if they don't make any real difference in the way the engine performs. Your thoughts?

Thanks

I'll tell you what I've learned by listening to the guys on the Nailhead forum on the V8Buick website and the Yahoo Nailhead Group. Everyone pretty much agrees that you don't need any lead substitute; there's enough nickel in the iron that the lead isn't necessary. Nor are octane boosters as long as you use premium fuel. There's a Conoco dealer near me who sells 93 octane premium that has no ethanol in it. That's what I've been using all by itself. I've owned my '63 since 1982, put 197K on the clock by me and the original owner, and I've never used any additives. If the engine is tuned properly you shouldn't need them.

"google" ethanol free gasoline and you'll find some websites that will tell you where those stations are in your area using your zip code.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Guest dwhiteside64

Thanks guys for the info. I have a ethanol free station with 93 octane a couple miles from my house! :cool:

Guest 1963 Riviera

When I purchased my 63 401, I got a boot full of additive with it. I pitched a similar question to the forum and was surprised at the high nickel explanation, So I run a tank with and without the additive as I was told to might as well use it up. I can feel no difference in the performance with or without

I use a 95 octane (not quite sure what your equivalent is) no ethanol.

HAPPY MOTORING !

hey is that a Teal Mist ?

Guest dwhiteside64

Thanks Nick for your thoughts. The best octane rating I can find (outside of 110 racing fuel) is 93. There are a few places that have ethanol free fuels, but it is getting increasingly rare. I need to buy a test kit to help in my search.

Actually, the color is Marlin Blue ;)