1940 Rear shock questions

So in the middle of getting the valve cover off, one of the rear tires went flat on me while the car was sitting. I guess the car was protesting all of the force used on the front! ;) Anyhow, while the tire was off I decided to check the oil level in that shock. I ended up putting in about 1.5 oz. About what percent is this of the total, IOW what is the capacity of the rear shock in ounces? Also, I probably should work the shock lever to make sure there isn't any air trapped. On mine it appears that the connection between the shock arm and link to body is pretty garmed. Before I start tearing into it, how are they connected? It isn't obvious to me due to the crud. Is it something simple like a cotter pin or is it a nut? Is there any kind of cover on it?

Cheers, Dave

Hi Dave

I know my 38/39 workshop manual lists the volume of fluid in the rear shocks as 10 Oz or 300cc. The parts catalogue I have lists the 39 shocks as being different from 38 but makes no mention of any change in fluid capacity. I am unsure if shocks on your 1940 are different from the 39 shocks. your workshop manual might tell you. In 1939 series 40-60 rear shock is listed as Delco type double Acting, model number 2103-A-B. do not know if this helps.

Cheers Andrew

Guest Grant Magrath

Dave, the shock link attaches to the axle using a 1/2" nut from memory. I disconnect them when filling, and work the arm up and down when topping up. I have a curved spout oil can perfect for the job, and we use a heavy duty motorcycle fork oil. As was said, 38's used telescopic rear shocks. Topping them up has to be done with a measure. Not so with the lever type we use.

Cheers

Grant