Transmission parts

Guest Desert Savage

Guest Desert Savage

I'm trying to help a customer track down parts for a tranny out of a 1939 Buick. I don't have much information on it as he only has the tranny and he doesn't know what it originally came out of. I was wondering what were some good resources for old Buick trans parts and if anybody might be able to at least give me a hint what I'm looking at via the pictures attached. Thanks in advance for any help.

post-93296-143141893706_thumb.jpg

P.S. I'll be stopping by his shop again soon so I can get a few more pictures if need be.

post-93296-143141893678_thumb.jpg

Edited by Desert Savage
Clarify posting. (see edit history)

It appears to be a small series 40 Special box. If you take the top cover off and post a pic, that can easily be confirmed.

The big series gearboxes have different internals.

What are you after for it ?

Clusters, gears, input and output shafts (for 40 series) regularly turn up for reasonable prices on ebay.

You don't see syncros very often but they can be rebuilt and remachined.

Danny

Guest Desert Savage

Well he was asked to rebuild it, so basically the whole shebang. Another thing is he asked me to identify that cable on the side, but as a guy that typically doesn't work on transmissions (and even then only sticks) I'm not entirely certain. Aside from Ebay are there any vendors that sell or source parts for these old boxes?

Is a 1939 series 40 with 5 bolt cover. 1939 Series 60 century is bigger / stronger and has has 6 bolt cover

The cable is to change the gears. Connects to the shift mechanism on the steering column. 1939 was the first year of column change for Buick. Cable was only used in 39. 1940 went to metal rods. 1939 series 40 has a lot on unique 1939 only parts. But a few parts common to mid 50's.

If he does not own a '39 why does he what it repaired ? Is a lot of $$$

Edited by 1939_buick
spelling (see edit history)

Guest Grant Magrath
Well he was asked to rebuild it, so basically the whole shebang. Another thing is he asked me to identify that cable on the side, but as a guy that typically doesn't work on transmissions (and even then only sticks) I'm not entirely certain. Aside from Ebay are there any vendors that sell or source parts for these old boxes?

Well, having recently rebuilt a 39 Special gearbox, I can say that you will need these guys....Northwest Transmission Parts

They sell the syncros that you will need, BUT, you may need to shave a few thou off them to get them working right, as they sell the same ones for all years, but the 39 syncro cones are a 1 year only part. eBay and Bobs for other bits.

Cheers

Grant