U-joint and Yoke wanted for 1928 Dictator

Recently found my front yoke on the drive-shaft was damaged by a worn out u-joint. It was suggested to me to advertise for a used one via AACA. The front flange is 4 and 1/2 inches in dia. and my model Dictator is a GE when it comes to parts, and has 6 holes about 2 inches apart. Would be interested in a complete front universal that would slip on the splines on the drive-shaft. This would include the yoke, the u-joint, the flange, the casing, and spring. Thanks for anyone who may reply.

If you just replace the front ujoint/slip yoke only, it would be advisable to have the driveshaft and slip yoke rebalanced as a unit. This is why the arrows are on the slip yoke and drivshaft. They must be lined up to keep the driveshaft balancd. If you put a different slip yoke on your driveshaft, it is quite likely that the arrows will not line up and you will have a vibration.

Terry

• 5 weeks later...
Guest david killam

My 31 Dictator U-joint was badly worn. It uses a Spicer joint and is a type A in the '29 to '40 Studebaker chassis manual. I had a machinist friend cut the flange out of the original, and welded in a joint from a Toyota RAV 4X4. I was able to fit it together and still put the cover over the joint so it looks original.

I don't know if your joint is like this one but if you want I can send photos of the procedure.