Authenticating a 1928 Franklin

Guest sversaw1

Guest sversaw1

My name is Scott Versaw and I am a student in the Auto Restoration program at McPherson College in McPherson KS. McPherson College was the first (and still only?) 4-year college to offer a degree in Auto Restoration.

I am part of a team that has been assigned the task of "authenticating" a 1928 Franklin owned by the college. In other words, we need to research whether the car is made up of parts that match and were correct for 1928.

I've done some research through this AACA site and the Franklin club, but I'd like some help making a list of any characteristics that were common and/or unique to 1928 Series 12 cars. Can anyone help with this list?

In other words, if you look at an alleged 1928 Series 12 car, what would you look to confirm that it is in fact a 1928 Series 12?

Thanks for any help you can provide. I'll be at McPherson College for the next 2 years. If you are in the area of McPherson KS feel free to contact me and I'll be glad to give you a tour.

"you look at an alleged 1928 Series 12 car, what would you look to confirm that it is in fact a 1928 Series 12?"

Look at the builder's plate ont he engine side of the firewall, read the Serial Number, go to www.Franklin car.org, click on TECH, click on "Franklin Serial and motor numbers" and scroll down to 1928. Does your number fall within one of the number blocks? now you know.

Gordon Howard

Hi Scott -

I can add a bit to Gordon's info:

The Series 12 shares much of the deCausse stying of the Series 11. The easiest identifier for these two models is the grill shell with the verticle plated bars and the LARGE plated circle surrounding the hand crank hole cover (note that the 1929 Series 13 models had styling that was updated by Ray Dietrich after deCausse's death. They still have the verticle grill bars, but the large circle was deleted - a key identifier). So, any Franklin with the large circle is a Series 11 or 12.

The Series 12 had 4-wheel hydraulic brakes, the Series 11 had a driveshaft service brake and rear wheel handbrakes. For me, the quick ID for a Series 12 is if it has front brake drums.

The Series 12 had a new woodgrained instrument panel with kind of burl grained center panels and 2 nickel plated hammer-finished switch levers and nickel plated surround trim, choke & spark knobs and lower center ignition pop-out lock cylinder.

The Series 11 instrument panels were black enamel with polished aluminum edging, Switches were toggle-style, black levers with aluminum tips. No nickel and no woodgrain on the Series 11 dash panels.

Under the hood, the Series 11 blower hood on top of the engine has a 'hump' in it toward the front on top. The Series 12 blower hood is smoothly tapered on top for it's entire length, no 'hump'.

It gets trickier to visually determine Series 12 from the Series 12B. The B had a single hand throttle lever on the steering column. The earlier Series 12 had two levers on the steering wheel.

The 12B came with fender mounted rearview mirrors, the earlier cars had none. Oftentimes these parts have been removed, or earlier cars updated.

The B grill shell is different - but slightly. The front top panel (where the badge mounts) is shorter in height than the earlier 12. The corners of the shell opening on teh front top are more square on teh Series 12 and more rounded on the 12B.

The 12B headlamps are mounted higher than the 12.

The 12B engine used spark plugs with 14mm threads. The 12 carried over 7/8" spark plug thread from earlier models.

All Series 12's originally were delivered with Lion hood front ornaments. The 12B had instead a false readiator cap with no lion. This is a difficult identifier as so many 12B owners have changed the plain cap to the earlier lion ornament.

Lots of other little differences others can point out, but this should help your report.

Call or email if I can help further. I do need to touch bases with someone regarding some joint work we started on fender mirrors for your project car.

Tom Rasmussen

Odyssey Restorations, Inc.

763-786-1518

odyrestorations@aol.com