'64 Riv wheels?

Moose2

I'm new at this; just bought a '64 Riviera and I need wheels. I'm assuming stock wheels are 15" and I'm also assuming the wheels from any full-size Buick will fit my Riv. I'll be snooping the local boneyards and I need to know if my assumptions are correct?? I'd also like to know if ANY full-size GM car will provide the identical wheels, or do I need to stick with just Buick?? Thanks for helping!

Moose,

Sorry, it's not quite that easy. The diameter of the center hub on 63 and 64 Rivieras is larger than most other cars. You need a wheel with a center hole that's at least a little over 3" in diameter. I think it's 3.08" but I'm at school and don't have any reference material with me. PLUS the front brake drums are riveted to the hubs. The wheels you need have a "bubble" between the holes for the lugs so the rivet head has a place to sit. The wheels are usully 15" with a 5 on 5" bolt circle. The normal width is 5.5". If the car was originally ordered with oversize tires (7.60 x 15 instead of the standard 7.10 x 15) the wheels were 6" wide. There are other threads on here that go into what it takes to fit aftermarket wheels (17" etc.) All large Buicks from those years (63 /64) will work. There are older Buikc wheels that will work as well, but they'll be a different configuration. The wheels you're looking for will have four small slots outside the bolt circle. They were used for bolting on the cast aluminum wheel covers. When I get home, I'll post pictures later tonight of different wheels so you can tell the difference.

Ed

Here are pictures of three different 15" Buick wheels that have a 5" on 5 bolt pattern.

This one is the correct one for your '64 Riviera. Notice how large the center hole is and where you measure the width of the wheel - inside the mounting flange, not across the entire width of the wheel.

post-50017-143141884303_thumb.jpg

This is a picture of a '65 and later wheel. The same except the center hole is smaller. Notice how both

the 63/64 wheel and this 65+ wheel are assembled. The center is welded to the rim in four places.

post-50017-143141884309_thumb.jpg

This is a picture of an earlier wheel. It has the larger center hole, but the bubbles between the bolt holes have small holes in them. These small holes were used as a guide. There was a pin on the brake drum. You centered the wheel on the hub and placed the pin through one of the smaller guide holes. This was necessary because the early Buicks used lug bolts instead of lug nuts. You'll also notice the center is welded to the rim around the entire circumference.

post-50017-143141884315_thumb.jpg

The Riviera wheels have four slots around the wheel so you can mount the cast aluminum wheel covers on them. This early wheel has five slots for retaining springs that hold the dog dish hub cap on the wheel.

The early wheels will work on a Riviera. No one will notice if you have a full wheel cover on the wheel. One thing about the early wheels - most of them are 6" wide. You can run a bigger tire on them. However, they have the early style mounting bead on them.

Hope this helps.

Ed

post-50017-143141884296_thumb.jpg

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Guest wildcat465

Moose, run out to French Lake Auto Parts out past Annandale. Should be able to find plenty of the correct wheels out there.

Thank you a ton Ed. Your detailed response has really helped me!! I was asking because I knew I was over my head and I realized when I looked at the wheels on my Riv that they weren't the same as other GM wheels I have eyeballed over the years. My front wheels have what appears to be aluminum spacers laid on the hubs and I had no idea if they belong on a 64 Riviera or if they were put on to try to get the wheels to fit. I'll try to take a couple of pictures to send you in return for your kindness. It may take a while, by Riv is about 76 miles from the house and I get to it about every other weekend. More soon. Of the four wheels that were on the car when I bought it, they were obviously not a set, and I thought the smartest way to get it sorted out would be to simply start over and get four wheels that would be correct for the car.

Hi Paul,

I was planning to go to French Lake, but I want a list of stuff in addition to wheels, and I ended up calling Rohner's in Willmar and it sounded like they had more of what I was looking for. Besides, Melvin has always been pretty patient with me when I stumble in the front gate.........