How do I clean a dark fluid staining original headliner in 1956 Chrysler Windsor

Guest Oldcarman

Guest Oldcarman

I have a 1956 Windsor that had some dark fluid drip through the headliner and onto the front seat. I believe it may be the tar like material they would spray the roof to deaden sound.

How can I clean this without damaging the headliner. It is original to the car and excellent everywhere else.

Any help or referrals will be greatly appreciated

Well, this may be a risky job, but if you use lots of clean rags, preferably white cotton, and laquer thinner you may be able to improve the look of your headliner. Do not rub the headliner too much as that alone can ruin your headliner.Many laquer thinner soaked rags I believe would be your best bet.It would be nice if you could release the headliner at a nearby edge and reach your hand in to carefully remove the source of your problem first as it may keep wicking through the headliner material when you wipe it. Patience is a virtue with this sort of a problem. Hope this helps.

I tried to clean my 55 Chrysler headliner and poked a hole through it. Fortunaly it was in the back down by the package shelf and it doesn't show.

Mine had a large brown stain over the passengers seat that would not clean up.

I ended up spraying the headliner with a vynal paint with a wet spray to give it body, followed by a very dry spray.

It looks ok but I don't dare touch it.

Not to hi-jack this thread, but instead of starting a new thread, thought I'd post a question since I have a few small water stains in my '56 Fairlane's original cloth headliner. It's not a flannel type as in some early cars. Looks like a polyester type but not sure exactly what material it can be. It seems thin and a bit delicate. Any way safe way to clean it?

Well, this may be a risky job, but if you use lots of clean rags, preferably white cotton, and laquer thinner you may be able to improve the look of your headliner. Do not rub the headliner too much as that alone can ruin your headliner.Many laquer thinner soaked rags I believe would be your best bet.It would be nice if you could release the headliner at a nearby edge and reach your hand in to carefully remove the source of your problem first as it may keep wicking through the headliner material when you wipe it. Patience is a virtue with this sort of a problem. Hope this helps.

I agree with all of the above. Laquer thinner acts like a strong dry cleaner since it dries so fast. It will melt the tar-like substance and you just have to keep applying it, wet at first, then dry it up with a clean rag. The headliner material may be dry rotted making this a dangerous proposition, but if it doesn't rip, this is your best bet.