Adjusted headlights-now horn works all the time and the lights do not work at all?

Guest REByar

Guest REByar

Hi All,

I drove my 1928 Tudor at night for the first time. I noticed the lights needed to be raised just a little. So I got my wrench out and loosened the bolts, reset both lights and then tightened them back up. I have a battery disconnect attached. SO,as a habit, I disconnected the battery by turning the green knob switch on the battery post before adjusting the lights. I had driven it earlier in the day and both the lights and the horn worked fine. But now- when I turn the battery back on the horn comes on and the lights will not work at all. I did not disconnect any wiring or even move anything, that I know of, to readjust the lights. But now the horn motor runs all the time. I checked the wiring, as best as I could at night. But nothing seemed out of place. Now the lights seem to be positioned correctly but I cannot test them as no power is going to them. Does anybody have any ideas what I did. When I repositioned the light with the horn the horn did move, but I repositioned the horn after the light was put in place.

Thanks

Randy

Guest WEB 38

Do you have any loose wires that go to one of the battery posts that got disturbed when you used the disconnect switch? Bill

Did you do anything to the light switch before adjusting the lamps? Sounds to me like the spider may have come loose from the bottom of the light switch and allowed the switch to travel up or down putting pressure on the horn button connection. If the spider is off of the shaft the switch will rotate around and will not turn the light conection switch in the base. There are no live wires( that I remember) going to the horn or lights directly until the switch is turned or the horn button depressed. Disconnect the horn and check to see if the lights work or if the switch will rotate around. You may also have a short somewhere in the harness. If your car has not had it's wiring upgraded ,I suggest getting a new harness and rewiring the car for safety. If everything is working correctly there is no need for a battery disconect. Also keep an eye on your ampmeter when you turn the engine off. Sometime the cutout may stick and drain your battery and heat up the wires. When mine did this I just press on the starter pedal quickly and it always disconnected.

• 2 months later...
Guest REByar

It has a new wiring harness as the previous owner did this work and he added halogen lights to the front. But after going through all the wiring I think you are right it is a problem with the light switch. By looking at the pictures I have seen and reviewing Les Andrews book it is not on correctly. I am going to take it apart, check all the wiring and then put it back together and put it back on in the correct position and hopefully that will fix the problem...........Thanks again for your thoughts