1952 Buick Special brake drums

Guest jerussel@msn.com

Guest jerussel@msn.com

Hi,

I am restoring a '52 Special (41D) and I need all 4 brake drums.

Does anyone know where I can purchase the drums, at a decent price?

Thanks,

John

Guest shadetree77

They can be bought at several places. oldbuickparts.com, kanter.com, and ebay to name a few. They're around $100 each at the first two places and $79 plus shipping on ebay. Just a tip, make SURE you measure the brake shoe area on your drums before you order. My '52 special had a different size rear shoe than normal. I believe you could get a bigger brake size on the rear as an option back then. I ordered the stock shoe size from rockauto, then had to return them when I found out mine were different.

Guest jerussel@msn.com

Thanks, Robert.

I had seen those. Was hoping there were more options (less expensive) ;-)

And thanks for the tip about the brake shoe size. I'll measure them. I suspect they are 1.75". They looked small when I removed them.

I've got the frame stripped; the body on my rotisserie; the rear end in pieces and the engine in parts and in the machine shop for tanking and inspection of the block and head.

Getting there, but damn is it expensive.

Talk later,

John

Guest shadetree77

I know what you mean John. Cost is one of the major factors that made me decide to go for the frame-on resto. They'll be time for a frame-off later on down the road. Good luck with yours. Keep us updated. I'd love to see some pictures of the disassembled engine and the body on the rotisserie.

Guest jerussel@msn.com

OK. Here are some pics of where I am. The frame is stripped and ready to sand. The parts that came off the frame are sitting in a pile. waiting... ;) The body is also waiting. (The interior needs both front floor pans, toe panels, and side panels. Won't be touching the body until I have a finished, rolling frame. The rear end only needs cleaning, seals and cleaning of the brake plates. And, of course, completely new brakes, including all 4 drums, bearing, suspension, etc. etc.

post-63218-143141855244_thumb.jpg

post-63218-143141855249_thumb.jpg

post-63218-143141855253_thumb.jpg

Guest shadetree77

Thanks for the pictures John. I like seeing the car disassembled that far down. Gives me a glimpse into my future. This is the first car like mine that I have seen on a rotisserie.

Guest jerussel@msn.com

OH! It's SO much fun!!! ;)

In truth, it is fun and very addictive!

And YES - can get VERY expensive, especially if you don't have ALL the tools you need to begin with.

John

OH! It's SO much fun!!! ;)

In truth, it is fun and very addictive!

And YES - can get VERY expensive, especially if you don't have ALL the tools you need to begin with.

John

John, I did not know it is possible to have all one needs!! Although an old farmer I knew could fix ANYTHING with a pair of pliers and a piece of bailing wire.

Ben

Guest jerussel@msn.com

Yea. When I started this 'hobby' I put up a 30X50 steel bldg and thought that would be more than enough space. HA!

Good Morning: Have four used brake drums which I saved from parting out several 50's Specials. I have parted out a 1950, 1951, and 1953, all Specials. They were saved as they were very usable. I would sell whatever you need at $10.00 each and you pay the shipping. They would come from Iowa and I live about ten miles north of I 80 in Ames, Iowa. Let me know by email to me at brooker50158@outlook.com or call 641-485-6413. Thanks, Patrick W. Brooks