1940 Buick Special...3rd owner and 1st project...

Guest Abbie

Guest Abbie

Well, this is my first time on here, and I'm happy to say that I am very optimistic that I will find all the help and advice that I need after reading how good some of you are!

I am the proud owner of a 1940 Buick Special 4-door. It was my husband's grandfather's car, and he was the 2nd owner. The car was parked in 1965 because the started went on it and grandpa couldn't afford to get a new one!

I have never restored a car before, let alone done a complete ground up restoration, but I'm up for a challenge!

I guess what I would like to know first and foremost, since I can't find a whole lot on the internet about it, is what is the difference between a 40,50, etc series? I guess I'm not sure what I really have, and therefore don't know what literature to get. I do have the original owners manual, keys, and title (thank you grandpa for being a hoarder!) so that's a start!

Any information I can get would be appreciated, from where to find NOS parts, to where to start, etc.

I live in Northeast Wisconsin, so if anyone is from up here I'd love to get together and pick your brains if we have spare time!

Thanks for being here for everyone like me who doesn't know where to start...you gave me this as a starting point and I think we will have a great relationship!

First,

I suggest, for Buick, that you report this and other questions on the Buick forum, also under Pre-ar where you will get more help. For the series, the larger the numbers, the bigger the car 9both engine size, wheelbase, and usually better trim, interior, etc. I think the Special is a 40 nseries,. There should be a tag on the firewall with all the information. The owner's mmanual may have it also.

You should also strongly consider joining the BCA. Because South Bend, the site for the BCA National Meet this year is not to far from you, you will want to consider attending. This will give you plently of help there. Don't be afraid to ask. And Welcome. Post some pictures when you can.

John

Guest Abbie

I am also VERY lucky in that every piece of chrome is on this car, and EVERY piece of glass is complete...no cracks! I also have a parts car, which has a few pieces that I knew I needed, like one of the hood latches, and the back emblem, which grandpa decided to spray paint in the late 50's because it was "cool"....

Guest Abbie

"I suggest, for Buick, that you report this and other questions on the Buick forum, also under Pre-ar where you will get more help."

Thanks for the great advice, John, but I really am not sure how to do that.....if you could give me some help, I'd appreciate it!