1948 Todor Super Deluxe Find!

Guest SteveWlf

Guest SteveWlf

Just found this car, a 95% complete solid, original and running condition. Not sure yet if it is the original engine, been researching the items to check (head stud count, casting numbers, etc..). I'm short on the cash so I'm trying to trade my '86 F250 diesel for it.

It has been 55 years since I have even put a wrench on a Flat Head Ford ('42 Ford Convert. That's right '42, very limited production.). Always regreted giving it to my sister when I joined the navy.

Not my favorite engine to work on but would like to preserve it for show if it is in solid running condition. Not like I need this car for a Freeway Flyer or Rodder. This is the same model and style that my uncle purchased used in the early 50s and it was a nice and proud ride.

I'll be back later with updates if I get it.

Steve

Guest SteveWlf

Just quick follow up to my original post.

Went back to check some details on this "find" and as I had already notice all of the trim/moldings had been removed and major portion of the body sanded to bare metal (now flash rust). I now notice that the interior dash trim has been removed, the speedo, clock and instruments are all still intact and in the dash, thre radio is removed and sitting on the floor board. A lot if not all of the trim/moldings are in the back and in the trunk so I fell fortunate there. One door panel is missing. Trunk handle is missing but could be inside, out of site.

Anyway, I notice that there must be something else that goes on the dash besides the trim. What goes around and above the interments and partially up the dash. The sheet metal that is exposed looks like something was over it origanally. I looked at some picture of the '48 super deluxe and it looks almost like a padding or plastic covering. I didn't see anything like that and that would be hard to find or duplicate/aftermarket. Really ugly as it is now, just painting isn't going to make it better.

I'm pretty much satified that this is the original engine or the correct replacement. If it starts and seems reasonably sound, I will be content to leave it origanal, short of a full overhaul.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I've been buying parts to redo, no show car, a 1942 Ford Fordor. Its amazing all the parts that are available. I think I have a pic of my dash before I disassembled it if you'd like it. If not on youtube there are several videos, and the dash parts all seem to be readily available.

Here is a link to a supplier of the reproduction plastic for the 47-48 Ford dash board. There are 3 pieces, left goes around instruments, center covers the rasoi speaker, and right that goes around clock and above glove box. If you re going to restore and drive the car, I suggest that you Join the Early Ford V-8 Club. hey publish an excellent magazine devoted to the 1932 through 1953 Ford manufactured vehicles. They are celebrating their 50th anniversary this year.

https://www.earlyfordv8.org/index.cfm