Small tear in Ginger Soft Top

With Spring coming, I pulled out the TC and raised the rag top. Found that a mouse had wintered over in the soft top pan and had chewed a tiny 3/4" hole. It looks like a coin slot for quarters. Anyway, I want to patch it.

Anybody have a recommendation on ginger colored patching systems?

John

1989 Yellow with Ginger top & upholstery

I had a VW convertible top that developed several holes. I wanted to keep the rain out so I used gaffers tape as a temporary fix. The fix lasted until I sold the car. I even took out of town trips in it without a problem. I don't know how closely you can match colors with gaffers tape.

Guest My TC Toy

I do not know if there is any repair that can be done that would not be noticeable. I would suggest that you go to your local glass shop, they may handle soft tops as well, if not, they can probably suggest a local dealer that does. Visit them and see what they say. If all fails try attaching a TC emblem over the hole with a stiff backing, depending where the hole is.

Another suggestion would be trying to get a piece of the same colour top from someone here who has a damaged top and glueing on a patch.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Bob

• 4 weeks later...
I do not know if there is any repair that can be done that would not be noticeable. I would suggest that you go to your local glass shop, they may handle soft tops as well, if not, they can probably suggest ..............

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Bob

OK,

I've got a decent repair, but you can find it on close inspection. I bought some tan Gaffer's Tape. I didn't really need tan, but I wanted it to be a close match if I had to tape from the outside. I pulled back the interior liner, and applied a strip of Gaffer's Tape to the tear from the inside. Then I bought one of those vinyl repair kits you can find at Ace, Autozone, etc. The kit has a "filler" in a tube that I used to fill the small indentation. After it dries, you can finish filling with colored vinyl.

Turns out that I was able to mix an almost exact match to the ginger top. You take the colored vinyl and spread it over the blemish. Then you use an iron to heat a small metal "disc on a stick". You put a piece of grain patterned material that comes with the kit over the work area, and start ironing with the little disc. After the vinyl sets, you can pull it off.

It's not perfect by any means, but it's good enough for me.

John

• 6 months later...

I had a slit in the side of my top. I used "Quick Grip". It is an adhesive that will flex and will work on leather, cloth or vinyl. It dries clear. If some of the top material is missing from the back side (inside) place a piece of water proof fabric with the adhesive. Then place some adhesive on the outside as well. Then treat with 303.