Parting is such sweet sorrow...

Guest Redmagne

Guest Redmagne

I recently purchased two Rivieras, one 63 and one 64. I had originally planned to build them both having a pair of these beautiful cars. After getting them home and taking a closer look in weather that would allow a more detailed examination, they are both in much poorer condition than I expected. Each car has strengths where the other has weaknesses, meaning the two combined will supply a very good beginning to build one. This I do not like. I would prefer to keep every one of these cars from the parts pile... c'est la vie. Having said all that, I will most likely build the 63, parting with the 64....And yet no further than a wanton's bird...

post-91721-143141778166_thumb.jpg

Rest in peace...

post-91721-143141778149_thumb.jpg

Guest brivi65

Well, unfortunately, you can't save them all, but at least it will be donating parts to keep others alive, kind of like an organ donor, and in some way still living on the roads! Good luck with the build of the 63 and post some pics. Brian

Guest Redmagne

After a couple of days of cleaning out the mice infestation, both of these cars seem pretty solid. Some rust around the rear window surrounds, not too bad. The 64 has the standard upholstery in black, no tilt, and no motor or transmission. I will probably use the grille assembly, bumper and lower valance on the 63. I was wondering if there is a way to tell what engine was originally in this car. The guy I bought these cars from has a Thunderbird w/ a 425 dual quad engine in it. It is possible that the car I'm considering parting out was the donor. He couldn't remember....post-91721-143141785345_thumb.jpg

Vin# 7k1-131383

Can anyone help me discover this cars engine details?

Edited by Redmagne
more details (see edit history)

About the only way you can tell for sure if the 425 in the T-bird is from this car is to look at that engine and see if the VIN on the engine matches the VIN on your cowl. The data plate tells you nothing about the engine. Using this guide, look for the Engine Serial Numbrt on that engine to see if it matches your VIN.

id_nailhead.jpg

One other possibility would exist if the original owners manual is still in the car. On the very back page, the engine code should be typed or written in. You'd be looking for a KX code. That's about all you can do; the data plate only lists options for which Fisher Body needed to prep the body for those options - those that couldn't be "dropped in" during final assembly (like an engine.) A search of the archives will get you info on decoding your data plate or you can look on the ROA website for the same info. However, the website is not complete for a Riviera that is completely optioned out.

Guest Redmagne

Thanks for the information Ed, unfortunately both of those options are not possible. The older gentlemen is unwilling to let most people even look at any of the cars on the property now. I've know him for a very long time, he is getting confused now and many people have stolen things from him, fueling his propensity to keep people out. It took me well over a year to get him to sell these two cars to me and he told me when I left "after you get one on the road, you can come back if you need another part". He has always been good to me, and I will respect his wishes. I will just continue with my plan to restore the 63. The 64, I can't seem to turn loose, maybe a mild custom job w/ a 65 front clip. Thanks again.