Car Inspection Recommendation

Guest bstemer

Guest bstemer

A friend is inquiring about a 1940's Lincoln across the country from where he lives. Before proceeding, he would like to have the car independently inspected. It is located in the Silicon Valley area of California. Can anyone recommend someone who would be well qualified to perform such an inspection? Many thanks for any suggestions.

Purchase a HEMMINGS Mag and check out the section on of people who do inspections. If you post a name and ask for positive comments on a couple listed, you should fine one. You will have to tell the inspector what you want checked. Engine compression, bondo location & how much. Lots of photos, interior, exterior, engine, & trunk. Do you want him to drive the car? About 16 months ago a fellow from Richmond VA had an inspector come, we drove it, he took photos, etc and sent him the report.

In talking with inspector, I found out the buyer wanted to drive it from Ohio to VA through WV over the mountains on I-64 (road trip). The car was locked in overdrive (freewheeling) and he would have to ride the brakes down the mountains. I could just see the report of the car with drum brakes going of the road part way down one of the steep grades. I called the seller and said he couldn't safely drive it & he would need to trailer it to be safe. The inspector told him the same thing & I lost the sale. A few months later I sold it to a man who lives 20 miles away.