63 steering column info

Guest slacker1965

Guest slacker1965

ok, I finally had time to replace the rag joint on my 63' riv. (used a NAPA repair kit) anyways at the bottom of the column(firewall side) there is kinda a crappy bearing & no bushing or anything else to keep the steering shaft centered in the column tube. I am guessing that there is some parts missing as there is nothing to hold the column in the correct position since the spring up by the wheel is pushing everything down, so the horn pin doesn't contact the ring. I guess once the column is re attached to the box, that one could use the nuts that hold the column to the dash to position it, but I want to make sure I'm not missing something b4 I put it back together.

tyvm in advance for your help, I did try to search for a diagram or other related posts.

regards

ks

Kevin,

Check on the ROA's website in the tech tips under the heading of 'Steering' to see about making a replacement insulator for your steering column. It's nothing solid like a bushing but with the collar in place and the column bolted to the steering box, I think you'll be good to go. Make sure you read the footnote at the bottom; it refers to a plastic donut that resides in the non-tilt columns. To me it sounds like the author installed one of these in his tilt column along with the new insulator.

Ed

Guest slacker1965
Kevin,

Check on the ROA's website in the tech tips under the heading of 'Steering' to see about making a replacement insulator for your steering column. It's nothing solid like a bushing but with the collar in place and the column bolted to the steering box, I think you'll be good to go. Make sure you read the footnote at the bottom; it refers to a plastic donut that resides in the non-tilt columns. To me it sounds like the author installed one of these in his tilt column along with the new insulator.

Ed

thanks ed, I'll check it as soon as I get a fresh copy of the Riview....I missed my renewal by a couple of days & haven't got an issue since....any ideas where to source the insulator?

thanks again

Ed's right Kevin, there's no bushing or bearing in the bottom of the column but once you connect the shaft up it's fine and I also recommend the donut insulator. I used a hi-density foam to make one and no more fumes in the cabin.

The Jan/Feb 2013 Issue has the details for making one.

I was at the body shop yesterday and looked at a '63 that does not have tilt. Next time I go, I'll take my camera and shoot a picture of the plastic spacer,insulator,bushing, whatever you want to call it at the end of a non-tilt column. Perhaps you can locate one to use as well as the DIY insulator.

Ed

• 3 weeks later...
Guest slacker1965
I was at the body shop yesterday and looked at a '63 that does not have tilt. Next time I go, I'll take my camera and shoot a picture of the plastic spacer,insulator,bushing, whatever you want to call it at the end of a non-tilt column. Perhaps you can locate one to use as well as the DIY insulator.

Ed

yeah, I'd appreciate a pic so I can duplicate it...there is a small bearing on the shaft....I guess it needs some plastic bushing or something around it...

Kevin,

I'll get a picture asap. The guy who owns the shop where this one particular '63 is doesn't come in when the weather's bad. And it's bad and getting worse here. The snow will hopefully be gone by this weekend and I'll be able to get a picture or two for you.

Ed

The snow finally cleared enough to get into Matt's shop so I could get a picture of the support bushing (for lack of a better name) on the non-tilt column on a '63 Riviera.

The entire car was stripped and painted in green epoxy primer so everything is the same color. Hopefully you'll be able to recognize what's what, and where it fits.

Ed

post-50017-143141777456_thumb.jpg

Guest slacker1965
The snow finally cleared enough to get into Matt's shop so I could get a picture of the support bushing (for lack of a better name) on the non-tilt column on a '63 Riviera.

The entire car was stripped and painted in green epoxy primer so everything is the same color. Hopefully you'll be able to recognize what's what, and where it fits.

Ed

[ATTACH=CONFIG]180703[/ATTACH]

ed

thanks for taking the time to do that....my bearing is still there but has worked it's way up the shaft...now I know what to make....I am planning on splitting the bushing after I make it then using 1/8" rivets to secure the 2 halves to the column tube....

thanks again for the good pix

ks