84 riv fuel guage

Booreatta

Last weekend I had the Riv out and the fuel guage was not working. I know that the tank is around half full but it reads full. It is the digital guage. Any ideas where to start to trouble shoot. I am hoping that someone has an easy fix like a ground on the outside of the tank, and if so where do I start to look. Any info would be appreciated

Chuck it sounds like the rehostat on your sending unit is worn. There is not any replacements for the digital dash you just have to replace with a known good used one or search and cross your fingers you find a new one. Otherwise taking it out of the tank might disturb it more. I had to change the fuel pump on my Turbo Riv and after they dropped the tank and took out the sending unit mine started flickering "--" occasionally while driving. I would check the ground wire and clean up where it makes contact and check for loose connections from the sending unit at all connections. Digital dash units are different than analog, not interchangeable.

Might also try a couple of full tanks ran as far down as you can get then fill up again with some good fuel cleaner in the tank to try and maybe clean up some crud off of the sending unit. I like RXP for this.

Edited by sosuzguy (see edit history)