another question! 55' Buick Special

Guest btate

I found another small bulb between the gauges or I think it goes between the blinker. It comes on red when I pull the light switch. Why! Did I stick it in the wrong place?

Thanks Mike, didn't think of high beam. Where is the high beam lens located on the dash so i can stick that bulb in that socket. Is there another bulb to light the red lens that reads out "brake" and when is the brake light suppose to light? Is it when there 's brake failure ?

If the red light is coming on between the blinkers when you pull the light switch, it is already where it needs to be.

The brake light is operated by stepping on the emergency brake. There is a switch behind the e-brake pedal that sends current to the red "brake" light location below the turn signal indicators. I hope this makes sense.

Pull the light switch and headlights came on and the red brake light. I then pushed the floor dimmer and a white light above the red brake light came on and indicating light on bright. I then tried the emergency floor petal to set the manual brakes and red brake light still on, then proceeded to release the emergency brake and red light still stayed on. I began to look for a cut out switch under the dash and also outside at the firewall. Could not find one or at the firewall. The switch may be stuck but got to find it first. Also, the trunk light, how does it turn off? Is there a remote micro switch somewhere ? I will be glad to advance out from under the dash. Also, where can I find a heater high to low heater blower switch? Mine switch is sloppy feeling, so I think it is bad. Fan does not run

The trunk light is on a mercury switch. When you close the lid to about four inches (+ / -) it should go out.Not sure about the brake light being on. So that only occurs when the headlights are on?

That would lead me to believe that the bulb assembly is in the wrong hole. I bet you are missing a dash light somewhere. Turn the lights off in your garage and see if one of the instrument panel lights seems to be missing, as in, you can see how Much oil pressure you have but can't read how much gas is in the tank at night.

Also, I am not 100% sure Specials had brake warning lights standard. So maybe the dash light bulb should go (let's say) in the hole for the gas gauge and you don't have a parking brake light switch.

Or, maybe the crack I was smoking earlier has finally kicked in ;)

Thanks James, I think the brake red light was optional on my 55' buick special. I could not find a switch. I removed the bulb and socket. Seems Buick wired the car with extra socket in case someone ordered with an emerge. brake light