Looking for 64 Riv Lower Bearing Retainer (Non- tilt Steering Column) - or advice...

Guest Scotsbass

Guest Scotsbass

Hi Everyone.

I hope you can help, I'm trying to assist my Mechanic, by attempting to source a Lower Bearing Retainer for the non-tilt steering column of my 64 Riviera. From his description, it's a fairly simple plastic ring.

Do any of you fine men and woman have one that you might want to part with (for a reasonable fee), or have any ideas where I might find one?

Thanks in advance

Kind regards

Keith

• 1 year later...

Hi Keith.

I know this might be a bit a late to your original post but I had the same issue with my lower bearing and did not have any luck sourcing a new one. Since my bearing lost all of it's balls and seized on the shaft, I had to replace it somehow and thought a bronze busing might fit the bill.

I ordered a 3/4 x 1 1/4 x 1 Oilite bronze bearing from McMaster-Carr (part number 6391K418). The bearing is self lubricating and cost about $7. After carefully measuring the original column protrusion from the plastic hub, I marked the bearing and began removing material from the backside of the bearing using my bench grinder. I don't have access to a lathe so just turning the bearing against the grinder more-or-less made neat work of turning down the back half. At this point, you want to take a little off and test fit as you are looking for a light press-fit. Don't make it too tight as it will crack the plastic hub when you go to install it. Once you turn down the bearing enough, it will fit nice and snug in the plastic hub.

Re-use the washer/ spacer that was originally on the column to protect the bearing from the clip on the column (which prevents the bearing from walking) in order to protect the face of the bronze bearing against the clip. After re-assembly, the column works like a charm and back to original.

post-71637-14314256154_thumb.jpg

post-71637-143142561526_thumb.jpg

post-71637-143142561532_thumb.jpg

post-71637-143142561536_thumb.jpg

post-71637-143142561538_thumb.jpg